Oxy Faces and Places - Athletics
November 9, 2011
Thank you to everyone who came to our Athletics Oxy Faces and Places and a special thank you to everyone in the Athletics Department including Jamie Hoffman, Betsy Butterick, Rob Bartlett and Olivia Sabins. Here are some hightlights featured at the event. The Alumni Fitness Center: New as of January 2010, has full range of cardio machines, weight training apparatus, dumbbells, etc. There's state of the art technology recently donated by Lee Hillman - a bioDensity machine (self-imposed maximal loading provides a safe way to accurately measure strength output while also helping to build bone density). There's also two XR boards hooked up to a PlayStation 2 for gaming while working on balance and proprioception; two TriXter Bikes hooked up to another PlayStation 2 (this is a spin bike type workout while racing through a virtual course); and a PowerPlate (a vibrating plate which harnesses the body's natural response to vibration to recruit more muscle participation in every exercise with the additional benefits of increased blood flow, greater flexibility, improved range of motion, decreased cellulite, etc.). All of this is FREE to Oxy staff, administators, faculty and students. Just bring your Oxy ID with you. If you want to learn how to use the bioDensity machine, just sign up in the Athletics Office for a training appointment. In case you didn't know:
- The Athletics Department is home to 21 varsity sports in addition to all club and intramural sports on campus.
- Patterson Field is located in Jack Kemp Stadium and regularly features home games for football, men's and women's soccer, rugby, and lacrosse.
- The McKinnon Family Tennis Center features 4 tennis courts on an elevated platform just behind Jack Kemp Stadium.
- Taylor Pool is home to Oxy's Swimming and Diving program as well as the water polo teams.
- Rush Gymnasium is home to the volleyball team as well as the men's and women's basketball programs.
- All sports schedules can be viewed online at www.oxyathletics.com and the Athletics Department would love to see you in the stands!
Submit Comments & Suggestions
- Upcoming Events:
- Board Members:
- Jacob Blodgett:
- Shawn Ferrara:
- Genaro Cabrera:
- Beatrice Gonzales*:
- Katie Grogan:
- Brian Knight:
- Marisa Mofford*:
- Chelsea M. Williams: