Deferral Terms & Conditions
Here's how the deferral process works:
Deferral requests must be granted by the Office of Admission.
A request to defer admission for one year must be made in writing stating the reasons for the request and any other pertinent information. The Office of Admission will review the request and notify the student in writing.
Deferrals are granted for one year. Two years may be granted in special circumstances, such as national military or religious service.
First-year students are allowed to defer enrollment. This option is not available to transfers.
Terms for approved deferrals:
- The student is required to submit an $800 non-refundable deposit to hold a place at Occidental.
- The student may not submit deferral deposits or hold spaces at any other institutions.
- The student may not matriculate and/or enroll on a full-time basis at another college or university during the deferral period. However, s/he may take coursework to maintain academic focus. (A maximum of two courses will be accepted for credit at Occidental.)
- The student may not apply for admission to other colleges or universities during the deferral period.
- The student must notify all other colleges to which s/he has gained admission of her/his decision to defer enrollment at Occidental.
- The student is required to reconfirm her/his intention to enroll for Fall 2016 no later than February 1, 2016. Instructions on how to reconfirm will be sent via email in January 2016.
- If the student is a financial aid recipient, s/he must submit new financial aid forms (FAFSA and CSS Profile) by February 1, 2016, to be considered for financial aid. Financial aid awards will remain consistent as long as the family’s financial circumstances remain consistent. (Before you finalize any plans, we strongly suggest you consult with the Financial Aid Office.)
firstname.lastname@example.org | phone: (800) 825-5262 | fax: (323) 341-4875