Oxy’s all about the undergrad experience, and here are some special opportunities just for our first-years.
- Disneyland and Urbanism
- The Shape of Space
- Criminal Dreams: Sherlock Holmes meets Sigmund Freud
- Cowboys, Samurai, Manly Men
- Liquid Horror
In addition to regular CSP seminars, Oxy offers special team-taught interdisciplinary courses that satisfy the CSP requirement. Fall 2014 will feature:
CSP 1: California Immigration Semester (CIS)
Be one of 32 students and three faculty members learning about education, literature, sociology, California, and immigration. The many immigrant communities of Los Angeles will serve as intellectual resources that will work in dialogic relation to classroom learning. The prerequisites for this combined set of courses are a curiosity for learning about California's cultures, a willingness to visit and learn from immigrant communities, a fondness for films and documentaries, and the enthusiasm and patience to work with children.
OxyEngage (pre-orientation program)
OxyEngage offers a great way for you to explore, connect, and encounter experiences in and around Los Angeles. There are three programs to choose from:
1. OxyExplores gives students who love the outdoors an opportunity to participate in wilderness trips led by trained professionals.
2. OxyConnects realizes one of the cornerstones of Occidental’s mission—community—by introducing students to the needs of our surrounding communities and the opportunity to respond to those needs through service-oriented trips.
3. OxyEncounters is the perfect opportunity for students unfamiliar with Los Angeles to encounter the diversity of arts and culture found in our neighborhood of Eagle Rock and in the greater Los Angeles area.
All trips take place August 18-20, the three days prior to New Student Orientation (August 21-26). Participants arrive on campus on August 18 and move into their permanent housing assignment. Space is limited. Registration will open later this summer. For more information email email@example.com or call 323-207-6776. For more info, head to OxyEngage’s main page.
Since 1987, MSI has offered a four-week academic/residential program for about 50 incoming first-years. It enrolls students from a variety of ethnic, regional, and cultural backgrounds who have expressed interest in issues of multiculturalism. MSI serves to give its diverse student body an introduction to the social, cultural, and intellectual resources of Southern California, as well as familiarize students with the Oxy community and surrounding area. In addition to coursework, past events have included theatrical performances, museum trips, cultural festivals, and community service projects. For more info, head to MSI’s main page.