Why Choose Oxy?
We know that you will make valuable contributions in the classroom, offer new perspectives to our campus culture, and thrive in one of the most global cities in the world.
In return, we want you to know what you can expect from us. Here are a few of the many reasons why you should choose Oxy.
Occidental offers 30 majors across 40 departments and programs, including a design-your-own major. But what truly sets Oxy apart are some of the distinctive opportunities on campus, around the country, and abroad, that only Oxy students can access.
Here’s what you won’t find anywhere else.
Spend a semester working on key Senate, House, gubernatorial or Presidential elections across the country.
Oxy at the UN
Spend a semester in New York City working as an intern at an agency or related organization to the United Nations or a foreign mission to the UN.
InternLA & InternPDX
Land one of 42 fully paid summer internships available for Oxy sophomores and juniors in Los Angeles and Portland, Oregon through the Career Development Center.
Feel empowered to engage in entrepreneurial initiatives, innovate new ideas, and go beyond the status quo. This year Oxypreneurship students produced the first-ever TEDx Occidental College.
Manage a premier six-figure investment portfolio as part of the College endowment.
Richter International Fellowship
Receive funding for 8 to 10 weeks of independent or faculty-mentored research abroad over the summer.
Alternative Spring Break
Spend spring break developing a deeper commitment to social and civic responsibility and cross cultural communication and social justice. Recent programs include “Exploring Citizenship: The Immigration Experience in Los Angeles.”
Oxy isn’t near L.A., or accessible to L.A. It’s in L.A.—and has been for more than 125 years. No other liberal arts college can say the same. Our students enjoy an idyllic tree-lined, sun-drenched campus where they meet, study, and dine outdoors every day of the year. It just happens to be in one of the largest, most diverse cities in the country.
Here’s why the liberal arts thrives in Los Angeles.
- “… an urban oasis [with] a thriving community of high achievers who don’t for a moment believe that the liberal arts are dead, or even wounded.” (Fiske Guide for Colleges)
- Within 10 miles of campus, students can curate exhibits at the Autry National Center of the American West and intern at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, international investment firm Payden & Rygel, the Grammy Museum and the famed Huntington Library.
- Oxy is one of 12 colleges and universities in the Southern California Marine Institute, giving marine biology students easy access to labs, scientific equipment and a research vessel on the Pacific Ocean.
There’s no such thing as winter blues. Los Angeles enjoys more than 330 days of sunshine a year.
Our students are eager to cultivate a career path that satisfies their interests and intellectual curiosity, enhances their skills and creativity, and creates and sustains good in the world. Your experiences at Oxy will give you the skills necessary to navigate the complexity of the 21st century, as well as the language, tools and experiences needed to translate those skills into today’s marketplace.
Here’s how Occidental prepares its graduates.
- 77 percent of graduates of the Annapolis Group of Liberal Arts Colleges, a group representing approximately 130 leading national independent liberal arts colleges, say their undergraduate experience was excellent, compared to 59 percent of private university graduates and 56 percent of the top 50 public universities.
(Hardwick Day 2011)
- 94 percent of Oxy alumni believe they received a high-quality education (vs. 90 percent nationally). 96 percent of alumni say the quality of the academics met or exceeded their expectations.
- 61 Oxy students and alumni have won Fulbright Scholarships since 2003, making us one of the country’s top producers of Fulbright Scholars.
- In 2012-2013 students participated in job shadowing programs at 20 sites in 6 cities.
Top Employers of Oxy Graduates from 2000-2013
Peer Health Exchange
Jet Propulsion Labs (NASA)
City of Los Angeles
Bank of America
Teach for America
Various universities including Stanford, Univ. of Washington, Caltech, USC, and Oxy
Source: LinkedIn (4,907 Alumni since 2000)
Schools where Oxy graduates are pursuing advanced degrees (partial list)
Cornell Law School
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Keck School of Medicine at USC
New York University
University of Chicago School of Law
University of Hawaii
Our on-campus offices work closely with faculty to provide students with the support, guidance, and connections students need discern and pursue their post-graduate paths. The services these offices provide are accessible to every student from the moment they arrive.
Career Development Center: Oxy creates and identifies internship and job-shadow opportunities through its network and partnerships and teaches students how to use those experiences effectively.
National Awards Advising: Students and alumni are recruited, counseled and prepared for highly competitive, prestigious, national and international academic opportunities including internships, fellowships, post-graduate study and research at highly esteemed institutions.
Pre-Health Advising: Students and alumni interested in matriculating to professional graduate programs in the health sciences participate in counseling, workshops and volunteer placement to help them clarify their goals and prepare and apply for graduate-level programs.
Pre-Law Advising: Career discernment experts, along with JD faculty in the politics department, deliver robust pre-law services and advising. Students receive academic and career exposure to the law through programs, initiatives, coursework and internships.