Am I an International Student?

Am I an International Student?

At Oxy, an international student is...

...someone who does not hold United States citizenship or permanent resident status.

(Even if you are a dependent of a legal U.S. visa holder and/or attended high school in the United States, if you are not a US citizen or permanent resident, you are considered an international student.)

In the process of applying for permanent residency?

If so, you will be considered an international student until you have possession of all legal documents proving this status change. Please notify the Office of Admission and Financial Aid Office immediately if you are granted permanent residency between the time you apply for admission and the day our decisions are mailed. Your change in residency status may qualify you for state or federal financial aid.

Are you a California resident and do you qualify for AB540?

Aid for AB540 candidates is limited and extremely competitive. Financial aid is awarded to those who show outstanding academic, extracurricular, and personal achievement. Here are instructions* on how to apply for financial assistance via the California Dream Act. If you have specific questions, please contact Associate Dean of Admission Maricela Limas Martinez at

*Please note that this document is in .pdf format. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to read or print this document. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you may download it here for free.

Questions? Email


Collins House
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, CA 90041

Phone: (323) 259-2700
or (800) 825-5262
Fax: (323) 341-4875