Green Bean Updates
I'm not going to lie - I really thought I'd be burned out by my second semester as a Manager at the student-run Green Bean Coffee Lounge (especially as a senior in his last semester at Oxy!), but the job continues to challenge me. Here are some updates from the past couple of weeks...
- The "donated mug" program (mentioned in an earlier post) that we launched at the end of last semester has continued to flourish. We have more than enough ceramic mugs to offer any customer the option of using one if they intend of staying in our shop for a bit. This way they also recieve the 20-cent mug discount. I track the total number of mug discounts on a daily basis to determine the amount of disposable cups that Oxy students have saved. While the program was new last semester, we were still able to save over 1700 cups. This semester we've already saved over 1400 more cups and are on track to save over 6000 cups! We keep a running tally that is updated weekly to keep customers conscious of their choices and motivated to be environmentally friendly.
- At the beginning of each semester, we typically hire a few more "floater baristas" whose primary responsibility is to "pick up" shifts that our current student baristas have to miss. Even though we only publicized the openings for two weeks before the applications were due, the managers recieved an astonishing 50 job applications. This gives you an idea of how popular it is to work here. We ended up interviewing around 25 applicants and hiring only five of them.
- We're continuing to work on our online presence. We have a site through the Oxy Wordpress system, which allows any on-campus organization to create professional, collaborative sites linked to the main Oxy site. Ours can be seen here. We also have a Green Bean Facebook page and Twitter.
- We've also been working on finalizing the details of our plan to stay open during the summer months for the first time ever. To increase our food menu items, were working with a popular new local restaurant Four Cafe - which we're very exited about!
- Tomorrow, the entire campus will also get the opportunity to hear from Howard Behar, the former Starbucks president who launched the coffee giant's international expansion efforts, in a lunch-time talk. He'll also be a guest speaker in my Managerial Economics class earlier that morning before personally visiting the Green Bean to get a peak of how we run our shop!
Needless to say, the Green Bean has kept me busy! Next time, I'll give you an update on my experience with the student-run Blyth Fund.