Least Favorite Things About Oxy
Blogger: Madeleine Farkas
Hey everyone. I’m taking this blog post to address something that I have been neglecting to mention for the past couple of years – there are actually a lot of things I DON’T like about this school! Can you even imagine that? After all of those glorified posts, I figured I owe it to you all to discuss my least favorite things about Oxy:
1. Distance to Los Angeles – Being so close to the city is absolutely TERRIBLE. I am constantly being reminded of how many events and opportunities are out there for me to take advantage of and it’s SUCH a distraction! I go off campus all the time to concerts and restaurants and comedy shows. Just last week I saw Best Coast with a group of my friends! Being in Los Angeles almost forces me to have a thriving life outside of academics! Rude!
2. How Many Events Happen on Campus – There are so many events and bake sales and other things that I charge to my student account, I’m millions of dollars in debt to my parents! There are just so many clubs doing wonderful things, like raising money for charities and putting on campus-wide events to raise awareness of social and political issues… I’m in debt AND becoming more culturally aware! UGH! And now my parents are threatening to use the money I owe them to turn my old bedroom into a home for their new antique doll collection! Thanks, Oxy!
3. My Major – Being a Media Arts & Culture major is the worst. Wanting to write for television means having to write ABOUT television?? GROSS! I’m currently writing a paper about feminism and television characters like Liz Lemon. Seems fun on the outside, but you should try having to watch Netflix for your homework and still having the motivation afterward to write a paper! If you ever see “Netflix subscription” on your syllabus under Course Materials, RUN.
4. Vagina Monologues – This event on campus put on by a group of smart, bold women did nothing but make me THINK and FEEL THINGS! I work very hard to keep up a dark and stone cold emotionless vibe, and I am FLOORED that they would even try to mess with my carefully constructed façade.
5. Quiet Section of the Library – It’s like, can’t a girl just sing show tunes once in a while without being stared at by fifty annoyed students? Come on. Do your work somewhere else, like that Starbucks across the street.
I could go on and on about how much I hate this school, but I need to save my writing voice for this research paper I’m working on. Did I mention that I have to do research here? And I’m ENJOYING it? Oh who am I kidding this school is the greatest thing to ever happen to me and I even struggled coming up with sarcastic things to hate. That must be a sign that Oxy is doing something right.