Internships provide Occidental students an opportunity to gain practical work experience in a variety of fields.
Why Do an Internship?
Due to the proximity of the college to the greater Los Angeles area, the reputation of the college, and the caliber of the students, many employers contact the Center with internship positions.
Here are just some of the obvious advantages an internship offers:
- Learn more about a chosen field.
- Apply classroom theory to real work situations.
- Become more knowledgeable about general work functions in particular fields.
- Identify and/or test interests and talents.
- Investigate organizational cultures.
- Learn career-related skills.
- Identify transferable skills.
- Strengthen written and oral skills.
- See if a selected career path is one you truly wish to travel.
- Find out what it's like to work in a business environment.
And here are some additional benefits:
- Internships enhance and strengthen your resume.
- Internships allow you to make contacts to gain future employment.
- Internships serve as a bridge between college and work.
According to a recent Job Report from the National Association of Colleges and Employers, 80.9% of new college hires had either an co-op or internship experience.
- Find an Internship
- Internship (INT) Courses Overview (pdf)
- Writing Learning Objectives (pdf)
- Internship Enrollment Forms-Summer 2015 (pdf)
- Where Oxy Students Have Interned (pdf)
- Student Internship Handbook (pdf)
- Interning Successfully (pdf)
- Internship Provider Guide (pdf)
- Faculty Guide on Internship Advising (pdf)
- US Department of Labor Fact Sheet on Internship Programs (pdf)
- Occidental College/CDC Policies
The CDC fields numerous internship opportunities year-round, and new and returning internship providers are continually posting opportunities to TIGERlink and NIClink. Some opportunities are with large organizations with established internship programs, and some are offered through organizations that have developed a relationship with the college. Others come into the Center without solicitation via fax or email from small, local firms.
- Phone: (323) 259-2623
- Fax: (323) 341-4900
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: AGC 109
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, CA 90041 & The Career Corner JSC 134
<---TIGERlink Log-in for Jobs, Internships, Appointments
Job Search Guides