A mock interview is a practice interview that simulates as much as possible the conditions of an actual employment or graduate school interview.
Mock interviews are conducted by a career counselor or by an employer representative. Following the mock interview, or sometimes as the mock interview progresses, the interviewer will provide coaching and feedback to prepare you for a "real" interview.
How to Prepare for a Mock Interview
Prepare for a mock interview as you would prepare for a real interview:
- Wear business attire
- Style your hair as you would for the interview
- Research the company or industry you are targeting
- Revisit your resume to be able to articulate your educational preparation and marketable skills
- Relate your experiences and skills to the employer and to the position qualifications
- Practice responses to commonly asked interview questions available at the CDC
- Prepare for behavioral interview questions by reviewing your education and experience for situations you can use to provide examples of your achievements, problem solving, conflict resolution, time management, etc.
What to Bring to the Mock Interview
The more your interview coach knows about the position/s for which you hope to interview, the more successful your mock interview will be. Be sure to bring:
- Your resume
- One or two position announcements; for graduate school interviews, bring information about the school, if possible
Case interviews are interviews that drive applicants to solve a business dilemma, e.g. "a case." Case interviews are customary in business consulting industries. Preparing for a case interview requires that applicants are familiar with basic economic principles. Most consulting firms offer some instruction on their case interviewing processes on the career section of their website.
Guesstimates are an interview strategy that requires an applicant to use math and problem solving skills to answer a question, e.g. "tell us how many jelly beans are in this jar."
- Phone: (323) 259-2623
- Fax: (323) 341-4900
- Email: email@example.com
South Trailer A
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, CA 90041 & The Career Corner JSC 134
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
Resume/Cover Letter/Other Guides
@OxyCareers OxyCareers Facebook