InternLA is a unique, donor-sponsored internship program, that funds over 30 selected students to intern in LA-based organizations and companies during the summer.
Career Services is proud to continue its InternLA summer internship program that supports Oxy students to intern in LA-based organizations in six broad sectors: Business & Entrepreneurship, Law & Policy, Media & Entertainment, Science & Research, Social Services & Advocacy, and Visual & Performing Arts.
The program is aimed to recruit talented Oxy students who wish to enhance their knowledge on a career trajectory . Participating sites will host an InternLA student for a ten week assignment commencing the beginning of June and ending around the beginning of August. InternLA participants will work on a full-time basis with 2 hours reserved for an on-campus weekly educational component called IMPACT.
- Must be a current Occidental College student
- Open to sophomores and juniors from all majors, unless otherwise specified. Current seniors are not eligible to apply unless returning as a student for the fall 2017 semester
- Good academic and conduct record
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.5; some organizations may have a higher GPA requirement
- Attend one of the Application Prepartion Workshops (see dates below)
InternLA participants will:
- be available to participate in pre-site training on Tuesday, May 30th
- enroll in the INT100 internship course
- perform professional tasks on projects key to the organizations’ needs
- receive professional mentorship from their onsite supervisors
- engage in an on-campus learning “course”, IMPACT, on a weekly basis for 2 hours with limited assignments
- partake in a Leadership Development programs: ILA Professional Roundtables and IMPACT on the Road
- complete an end of assignment survey & reflective essay
- highlight summer experience at culminating event, the Reverse Career Fair, held in early September 2017
InternLA students will be awarded a maximum of $4000 for their 10-week participation in the program. Awards will be distributed on a bi-weekly basis and last payment will NOT be released until all program components are met. Note: some sites have additional costs like parking; the program does NOT offer additional funds for costs associated with internship participation (i.e., gas, mileage, room and board).
*$4000 is the Career Services' maximum award. There may be organizations who offer a higher compensation rate and may pay the intern directly.
SELECTION AND APPLICATION PROCESS
All applications must be submitted by 5pm (PST) on Wednesday, March 1st. Incomplete and/or late submissions will NOT be accepted. No exceptions. Remember that you must attend at least one application preparation workshop in order to apply to either program. If you previously attended a workshop, you do NOT have to attend one this year. Contact the HCC to verify previous attendance.
Completed application includes:
- Cover letter and current resume via TIGERlink (can apply to two postings only listed under InternLA)
- InternLA Staff/Faculty Recommendation Form (applicant is responsible for timely return of document to the HCC)
Documents will be forwarded to the on-site supervisor. On-site supervisors have a deadline of Friday, April 7th to notify the selected applicant. Selected student will have until Wednesday, April 12th to accept or decline internship offer.
The following is an application/program timeline for Summer 2017:
Tuesday, February 7th--Information Session @ 11:30am (Hameetman Career Center)
Thursday, February 9th--Information Session @ 12:00pm (Hameetman Career Center)
Thursday, February 16th--Information Session @ 4:30pm (Hameetman Career Center)
Tuesday, February 21st--*Application Preparation Workshop @ 12:00pm (Johnson 104)
Tuesday, February 21st--Application Preparation Workshop @ 4:30 pm (Fowler 202)
Wednesday, February 22nd--Application Preparation Workshop @ 12:45pm (Johnson 302)
Wedneday, February 22nd--Application Preparation Workshop @ 6:00pm (Johnson 105)
Thursday, February 23--Application Preparation Workshop @ 4:30pm (Fowler 202)
Friday, February 24th--Application Preparation Workshop @ 1:00pm (Johnson 103)
Tuesday, February 28th--Application Preparation Workshop @ 11:30am (Fowler 202) *You must attend ONE of these workshops
Monday, February 27th--RESUMANIA DAY: 10am - 4pm Walk-In Hours for InternLA final document review in the HCC
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Thursday, March 2nd--All required documents must be submitted via TIGERlink by 5pm (PST) for approval
March 6th-March 31st--Sites evaluate applicants and undergo selection process
April 7th--Deadline for sites to inform selected candidate
April 12th--Deadline for selected candidate to accept/decline offer
April 28th--Deadline for selected interns to submit InternLA agreement & INT enrollment forms
May 30th--Pre-site training on Occidental Campus
Tentative: June 5th--Start internship assignment on-site
Tentative: Aug. 11th--Internship End date
As part of InternLA, the HCC will offer a highly competitive opportunity; two students will be awarded the Richard C. Cornuelle Fellowship, in honor of Oxy alum, Richard Cornuelle ’48. Selected fellows will be placed at Community Partners (see TIGERlink for description).
Along with the criteria listed above, Cornuelle Fellows applicants will:
- be required to include a personal statement of interest (see prompt on-line)
- recommendation form MUST be completed by a current Oxy faculty member
- partake in a pre-selection process. Applicants will be required to go through an on-campus interview with a panel comprised of members of the Occidental community and Community Partners. Only selected students will move forward to a second-round interview at Community Partners
Cornuelle fellows will also:
- enroll INT 200 course (tuition costs covered by award)
- have required readings and meetings with assigned faculty advisor
- submit an end of program academic paper (TBD by faculty advisor)
- be awarded $4000 and can be provided with additional funds to cover costs for travel and supplies related to the opportunity. Fellows are also eligble for needs-based subsidized room and board available during the program dates only. If the fellow chooses to live off-campus, subsidies for room and board cannot be provided.
For summer 2017 InternLA applicants are invited to apply to TWO of the following participating sites:
For the InternLA handout and policies, click here
- Phone: (323) 259-2623
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hameetman Career Center
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, CA 90041
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
Resume/Cover Letter/Other Guides
Majors in Motion: Infographics
@OxyCareers OxyCareers Facebook