MINOR:The requirements for the minor consist of demonstration of proficiency in programming, four fundamental courses, and one elective course, as follows.
* Proficiency in Programming.
This requirement may be satisfied by completion of four units of programming courses (listed below). Two of these four units must be in Comp 157 or Comp 161; and only one of these two courses may be taken for credit. Proficiency in Programming may also be demonstrated by examination.
- Comp 155, Web design and programming (2 units; no prerequisite)
- Comp 157, Programming in C++ (2 units; no prerequisite)
- Comp 161, Programming in Java (2 units; no prerequisite)
- Comp 165, Programming in Mathematica (2 units; no prerequisite)
- Comp 167, Programming in Matlab (2 units; no prerequisite)
* Four fundamental courses
- Math 210: Discrete Mathematics (prerequisite: Calculus 2)
- Math 352: Computability and Complexity (prerequisite: Math 210) or Comp 353: Information Theory (prerequisite: Math 210)
- Comp 211: Java II and Introduction to Computer Science (prerequisite: Comp 161, or equivalent)
- Comp 311: Data Structures and Algorithms (prerequisite: Comp 211)
* Elective courses
- Chemistry 355: Introduction to Bioinformatics (prerequisites: Chem 221 and Bio 130, note that those courses have other prerequisites as well)
- Cognitive Science 210: Introduction to Artificial Intelligence (prerequisite: Cog Sci 242, Math 186 or Math 210, plus some programming experience)
- Cognitive Science 242: Computational Approaches to Cognition (prerequisite: Cog Sci 101, Computer Science 211, Math 210, or Math 352)
- Cognitive Science 343: Probabilistic Models of Cognition (prerequisite: Cog Sci 242)
- Math 186: Network Models (no prerequisite)
- Math 370: Numerical Analysis (prerequisite: Math 212 or Math 214)
- Math 372: Operations Research (prerequisite: Math 210 and 214)
- Geo 355: Paleomagnetism (prerequisite: Geo 105)
- Physics 261: Simulations in Physics (prerequisites: Physics 110 or 115, and pre- or co-requisite of Physics 120 or 125)
- Physics 361: Computational Physics (prerequisite: Physics 340)
- Math 352: Computability and Complexity (prerequisite: Math 210) (if a student takes both Math 352 and Comp 353, then one will count as a fundamental course for the CS Minor and the other will count as an elective course for the CS Minor)
- Comp 353: Information Theory (prerequisite: Math 210) (if a student takes both Math 352 and Comp 353, then one will count as a fundamental course for the CS Minor and the other will count as an elective course for the CS Minor)
COMPUTER SCIENCE PLACEMENT: Advanced placement is available to students with qualifying scores on the College Board Advanced Placement Examinations in Computer Science. Those scoring 4 or 5 on the A Examination may enroll in Comp 211 without the Comp 161 prerequisite.
RELATED COURSES: Additional mathematics courses relevant to computer science include Mathematics 150, 320, 322, 350, and 380.