Application Deadline: 5:00 PM on FRI April 4, 2014
Position Description: Summer Conference Assistant (Multiple positions available)
Summer Conference Assistants have 2 main areas of responsibility:
- Professionally service the needs of conference groups and their participants
- Participate in administrative activities essential to Conference Office operation
Event / Conference Logistics
- Staff Conference Services office. Our office is open 7 days a week, from morning to evening.
- Provide on-call presence (after hours) during conference and event activities, on a rotating basis
- Live in Oxy residence hall location designated by Conference Office; provide oversight and service to residence hall occupants
- Establish and maintain professional communication with clients
- Make and confirm arrangements with relevant Oxy departments, including but not limited to:
- Master Calendar: Facility reservations
- Campus Dining: Marketplace dining service, catering needs
- Audiovisual Services: Equipment orders and staffing
- Facilities Management: Equipment orders, cleaning services, HVAC service, Campus grounds keeping, linens, etc.
- Campus Safety: Facility access, parking and traffic control, crowd control, etc.
- Performing Arts: Theater facility staffing and event production
- ITS: Guest logins, computer lab use and support
- Make and confirm arrangements with relevant external vendors, including but not limited to:
- Linen vendor
- Equipment rental companies
- Coordinate program logistics, such as catering, room setups, signage, etc.
- Serve as Conference Services office representative for programs by completing pre-event preparations, greeting clients, attending to last-minute changes, and seeing events to conclusion
- Prepare and facilitate guest check-in and check-out procedures
- Administer, inventory, distribute and collect room keys, meal cards and key cards
- Administer, inventory, distribute and collect guest linens
- Complete basic audiovisual equipment setups, such as LCD data projector or PA system and microphone
- Monitor facilities for damages before/after use
- Act as a resource for summer guests, and serve as a link in emergency situations
- Assist with development and presentation of “Orientation” programming for client staff and/or participants (these will require public speaking, and will be lecture/discussion/tour format)
- Assist in the creation of informational materials for client distribution or publication
- Assist with maintenance and use of office calendaring application tracking all administrative and programmatic dates (such as payment due dates, catering orders, linen delivery dates, and key conference program dates).
- Collect and input data tracking conference statistics, for billing and other administrative purposes
- Update records and schedules
- Prepare invoices
- Update web pages using Oxy CMS
- Maintain spreadsheets of revenues and expenses
- Answer telephone
- Special projects as assigned
- Employment period: WED May 21 - SAT August 9, 2014
- 30 - 40 hours per week average
- Must live on campus, in housing designated by Conference Office
- Compensation includes single room & meal plan
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (early mornings, evenings, weekends and split shifts)
- Able to perform moderate physical labor, such as moving/setup of tables and chairs. Able to lift and carry 40 pounds.
- Oxy Authorized Driver status in place by WED May 21, 2014 (see requirements below)
- Dress code
- All employees must be able to pass a background check initiated by the College.
- Students seeking long-term employment in Conference Office are preferred; first-year and sophomores are encouraged to apply.
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: 5:00 PM on FRI April 4, 2014.
DO NOT APPLY if you are unable to obtain Oxy Authorized Driver Status by WED May 21, 2014
Oxy Authorized Driver requirements:
- A valid U.S. driver license (any state)
- Have had your license for at least 2 consecutive years
- Good driver history
- If you have questions regarding authorized driver eligibility, please contact the Facilities Dept. at (323) 259-2651
- Contact: (323) 259-2795 firstname.lastname@example.org