Alternative Text Formats
Students with a documented print disability may be eligible for text in alternate formats. Print disability refers to any disability that prevents a student from effectively utilizing print material and may include blindness, other serious visual impairments, specific learning disabilities, or the inability to hold a book.
The Center for Academic Excellence (CAE) will attempt to locate print material through Recordings for the Blind and Dyslexic (RFB&D) and through publishing companies. Material not located through these methods will be scanned and provided in Microsoft Word format.
Procedures for Requesting Alternative Text Formats
- Students must be registered with the Disability Services Office and have approval to receive alternative text as an accommodation.
- Students must be enrolled in the course for which they are seeking alternative text.
- To request alternative text for any printed material, students must request alternative text from the Disability Services Team.
- Students must buy the materials they wish to have converted and provide the CAE with proof of purchase. Most publishing companies require proof of purchase before they send an alternative text.
- If the material is being scanned, students must provide the CAE with a copy of the course syllabus. Materials will be scanned in sections according to the reading schedule of the course.
- Students will be contacted via email when their materials are ready to be picked up at the CAE.
- Students will return all materials to the CAE no later than the last day of the semester.
Timeline for Requesting Alternative Text Formats:
Short documents (i.e. journal articles, syllabi, handouts, etc.)
Requests must be submitted at least one week in advance.
Textbook and longer print materials (i.e. over 50 pages)
Requests must be submitted at least six weeks in advance.
Last updated June 27, 2012
- Phone: (323) 259-2969
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: (323) 341-4927
- Location: Academic Commons (Ground Fl.)
- Scheduling Proctored Exams :