The economics department provides mentorship and academic support to help students achieve their goals.
Have a question about the economics major? Check out the answers to some FAQs.
Seeking academic support? Visit the economics peer tutors in the Academic Commons or meet with your professor in office hours:
|Professor||Teaching and Research Areas||Office||Office Hours (S 17)|
Environment, Recycling, Energy, and Climate Policy
M 12:30-2:00; Tu 12:00-1:30
|Lesley Chiou||Industrial Organization, Information and Technology, and Arts & Media Markets||Fowler 221||on leave|
|Daron Djerdjian||Trade, Political Economy, Development, and Austrian Economics||Fowler 208||MWF 10:30-11:45|
|Andrew Jalil||Macroeconomics, Economic History, Financial Crises, and the Great Depression||Fowler 213||M 1:30 – 2:30 (Fowler 213); TuTh 4:40 – 5:40 (Mosher 2)|
|Brandon Lehr||Microeconomic Theory, Public Finance, and Behavioral Economics||Fowler 217||M 2:30-4:00, Th 4:30-6:00|
|Mary Lopez||Labor, Immigration, Race, Gender, and Poverty||Fowler 214||Tu 3:00-4:00; W 10:30-11:30; Th 3:30-4:30|
|Robby Moore||Higher Education, Taxes, and Personnel Economics||Fowler 215||Tu 2:00-4:00; Th 4:00-5:00; F 9:00-10:00|
|Jesse Mora||International Trade, Development, and Applied Microeconomics||Fowler 216||M 9:30-11:00; W 1:00-2:30|
|Diana Ngo||Applied Microeconomics, Development, and Health||Fowler 223||M 12:50-1:50; W 8:30-9:15, 11:45-12:45; F 12:00-12:30|
|Daryl Ono||Accounting and Corporate Finance||Fowler 206||TuTh 2:00-3:00|
|Woody Studenmund||Applied Econometrics and Managerial Economics||Fowler 225||on leave|
|Victoria Umanskaya||Environmental & Resource Economics and International Trade||Fowler 206||M 9:30-10:45; TuTh 12:15-1:15|
|Kirsten Wandschneider||European Monetary and Financial History, International Macroeconomics, Development of Financial Institutions and Markets||Fowler 224||M 12:00-2:00; Tu 10:30-11:30|
The economics department recognizes its majors with a number of awards each year:
- Bennett W. Schwartz Award. This award is given to a graduating senior majoring in Economics who is deemed outstanding and best in his or her class by the department faculty.
- Outstanding Junior Award. This award recognizes juniors who have distinguished themselves for outstanding academic achievement and potential. (Note: For the purpose of this award, "juniors" are students we expect to graduate in the academic year following the one when we consider them for the award.)
- Jim Halstead Award. This award recognizes an Economics major (in any class) for outstanding contributions to helping others learn economics. The Department faculty selects the winner from a pool of candidates nominated by Oxy students who have taken classes in Economics.
- Betty Tracy Award. This award is given to an Economics major (in any class) for outstanding service to the Department.
- College Honors. Seniors may receive College Honors through excellent performance throughout the major, including their performance on their senior comprehensives, and approval of the department. To be considered for admission to the Honors Program, students must have achieved a grade point average of 3.5 or higher both in Economics and overall by the end of their junior year.
- Departmental Letter of Commendation. Seniors who do not receive College Honors will be considered for this recognition if they have achieved a grade point average of 3.5 or higher both in Economics and overall.
- "Pass with Distinction" on the Senior Comprehensives. Seniors will be considered for this recognition if they receive a grade of A- or above in their Senior Seminar or Senior Thesis (Economics 495 or 490) and a grade of A- or above on the MFT exam.
- Selection for membership in Omicron Delta Epsilon, the international honor society for Economics. Seniors will be eligible for selection if their academic standing is in the upper one-third of the class of graduating Economics majors.
- Contact Us:
- Department Chair: Kirsten Wandschneider
- Office: Fowler 224
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (323) 259-2932