Oxy Health Insurance
Health Insurance for 2014-1015 Academic Year
Under the Affordable Care Act, all Americans are required by law to have health insurance. As of January 1, 2014, many new insurance requirements were added and are now reflected in the 2014-15 Oxy Student Health Insurance Plan. For the 2014-15 academic year, purchasing Oxy student health insurance is no longer mandatory, but all students must either purchase the plan or successfully complete the waiver process. Passing the waiver process means the student has a comprehensive health insurance plan that is comparable to the Oxy student plan and the plan has health care providers in the Greater Los Angeles area. Please note that international students are required to purchase the Oxy student health insurance plan, and may not waive.
Students are required to complete the waiver process by August 1, 2014 for the 2014-15 academic year. For more information or to start the waiver process, hosted by Gallagher Student Insurance, please go to: www.gallagherstudent.com/oxy, with basic information provided below. Below provides basic information about the waiver process and about the key features of the Oxy student health insurance plan.
CONSIDERATIONS REGARDING WAIVING
The waiver process is very simple and the Gallagher Student Insurance website will guide you through it. When applying to waive, keep in mind individual and/or family insurance policies with large deductibles or large co-insurance amounts, or policies that are out-of-state HMOs or Medicaid, or that do not have health care providers in the Greater Los Angeles area will not pass the waiver process.
It should be noted that students with the Oxy student insurance plan may have more flexibility in using on-campus and local community health resources given the comprehensiveness of the plan and the high number of local providers who are in-network.
Please note that that the premium for the Oxy policy may show up on your initial bill for fall 2014, but it will be removed if and when you pass the waiver process. You will also have the opportunity to appeal the outcome of the online waiver process if you were not granted approval to waive, and you can request information about financial assistance for health insurance. Instructions for doing so will be provided at the end of the guided waiver process.
Students who do not complete the online waiver process will be automatically enrolled in the Oxy student health insurance program and be required to pay the premium.
If you have any questions, your most valuable resource will be Gallagher Student Health at (800)396-396-5977 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the Oxy Emmons Student Wellness Center, please click on the Emmons Student Wellness Center tab in the menu to the right or call the Center at 323-259-2657.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE 2014-15 OXY STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN.
Detailed information about the Oxy student health insurance plan is provided on the Oxy website by clicking the tab Student Health Insurance Plan on the menu on the right side of this page, or going to the Gallagher website at www.gallagherstudent.com/oxy.
Key features of the policy include:
- Affordable plan costing $1,726 per year, or $863 per semester.
- An unlimited policy year maximum.
- Low annual deductibles: $100 In-Network and $300 Out-of-Network, with no deductible for services received at Occidental’s Emmons Student Wellness Center.
- Coverage at 90% in-network & 70% out-of-network
- In-Network Physician’s Office visits covered at 100% after a $30 copay.
- Preventive care services with no deductibles, copays or coinsurance (In-Network Only).
- Prescription drug coverage with low copays.
- Students will be able to locate providers whether at home, school, or throughout the country.
- The plan coordinates closely with the on-campus Emmons Student Wellness Center.
- Wellness discounts including Vision and Dental for students of all ages.
- Worldwide Coverage including Medical Evacuation, Repatriation & Travel Assistance Services.
For a complete description of the benefits available, limitations and exclusions please visit
www.gallagherstudent.com/oxy. You can also contact the Oxy United Health Care representative, Julie Gordon, who is on campus Tuesday through Thursday, by calling (323)259-2657 or emailing her at email@example.com.
- Oxy 24/7 Confidential Hotline:
- Email us: