How Student Insurance Works
The following information only applies to those who have signed up for the Oxy student health insurance plan. All students who have other health insurance should contact their health insurance carrier for information.
How Oxy Health Insurance Works at Emmons Student Wellness Center
I. Covered Services
For students covered under the Oxy plan, services provided by Emmons Student Wellness Center are paid at the in-network level of coinsurance or 100% with no co-pay for wellness visits, such as physical exams. Visits involving illness or injury are covered at 100% with a $10 co-pay. Starting on August 1, 2014 Emmons will charge a $50 office visit fee for illness and injury services, billed directly to the Oxy plan.
The following services are available at Emmons Student Wellness Center and are covered by the Student Injury and Sickness plan with United Healthcare:
- Minor illnesses and injuries, including colds, flu and strept
- Sprains and strains
- Common prescriptions
- Birth control
- Women's health exams and testing
- STD testing
- Counseling & psychotherapy – short term individual, couples and group
- Referrals to community providers and a wide range of resources
- Yeast infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Upper respiratory infections
Preventive and Wellness Care Services – Preventive services include annual physicals, gyn exams, routine screenings, labs, and immunizations. These services will be covered at 100% , no copay to preferred providers only.
- Over the counter medications
- Supplies, except as specifically provided in the policy
- Allergy testing or treatment
- Foot care (including ingrown toenails)
- Immunizations for travelling abroad
For additional benefit information, please visit Gallagher Koster to review the student insurance brochure or email Julie Gordon, the Oxy United Healthcare representative on campus at email@example.com .
How Student Health Insurance Works Outside Oxy
We encourage students to explore their health care options and find best fit providers. That said, the Oxy student plan will cover a lower percentage of the cost for out-of-network providers.
Students can go to any provider, however, they can save money by seeing providers that participate in United Healthcare's PPO network. Selecting in network providers or facilities ensures the highest level of coinsurance. To locate a network provider or pharmacy click HERE.
- Choose a provider
- Present your United Healthcare insurance ID card. If you do not have one, you may download it HERE.
- In most cases, the provider will submit the claim to United Healthcare. If not, write your insurance ID number on the claim form and submit it to:
United Healthcare Student Resources
P.O. Box 809025
Dallas, TX 75380-9025
Selecting in-network providers or facilities ensures the highest level of coinsurance. The preferred provider for this plan is UnitedHealthcare Options PPO network. To find preferred providers in the network, please follow the steps outlined above under "In-Network." You may also call 1-800-767-0700.
Note that all benefits are subject to satisfaction of specific benefit limitations, maximums and co-pays as described in the policy, so please be sure to read your United Healthcare brochure closely as well as the FAQs. The Master Policy on file at the College contains all of the provisions, limitations, exclusions and qualifications of your insurance benefits some of which may not be included in this handout. The Master Policy operates as a contract and will govern and control the payment of benefits.
- Preferred Provider - 90% of preferred allowance
- Out of Network - 70% of usual and customary
- Physician visits - $30 copay/deductible
- Medical Emergency - $150 copay/deductible
- Oxy 24/7 Confidential Hotline:
- Email us: