Friday, February 7, 2014 - Saturday, February 8, 2014
ECLS Comps Talks
Session 5 (2:30-4:00 in JSC Salsbury Young): Josephine Fenster, Ryan Graff, John Solowiej, and Emily Lewis.
Session 6 (2:30-4:00 in JSC Salsbury):Mikayla Turkewitz, Virginia Johnson, Patricia McGown, and Arielle Laub.
Session 7 (4:15-5:45 in JSC Salsbury Young): Allison Dinielli, Marianna Nespoli, Emily Oakland, and Jacob Surpin.
Reception follows at 6:00 pm
Session 5 (2:30-4:00 in JSC Salsbury Young)
1. Josephine Fenster, “Overflowing Language in William Faulkner’s As I Lay Dying: Subverting the Distinction Between the Interior and the Exterior”
2. Ryan Graff, “There is No 'I' in As I Lay Dying”
3. John Solowiej, “Personal testimony and familial decay in The Sound and the Fury”
4. Emily Lewis, “View it Aright": Exploitation of Art in Moby Dick”
Session 6 (2:30-4:00 in JSC Salsbury)
1. Mikayla Turkewitz, “One Knight Stands: An Examination of Female Adultery and Male Chivalry in Thomas Malory's "Le Morte d'Arthur"
2. Virginia Johnson, “Fixation and the Unfixed in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night”
3. Patricia McGown, “Blurred Lines: How Antonio and Bassanio’s relationship straddles the liminal space between homosociality and sodomy in Shakespeare’s Merchant of Venice”
4. Arielle Laub, “Blurred Lines: The Combined Impact of Race and Gender Identities in Zora Neale Hurston's 'Jonah's Gourd Vine'”
Session 7 (4:15-5:45 in JSC Salsbury Young)
1. Allison Dinielli, “Take Care of the Sense, and the Sounds Will Take Care of Themselves:" The Development of Identity Through Syntax Variation and Word Play in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland”
2. Marianna Nespoli, “Language as Pharmakon in Calvino’s Le Città Invisibili”
3. Emily Oakland, "In Cold Blood: An Argument Against the Black and White M'Naghten Rule.”
4. Jacob Surpin, “Connected by Threads: Complex Causality and Narrative Montage in Don Delillo's Underworld”
Friday, February 7, 2014
A Talk by Ippolita Rostagno '86, Jewelry Designer
Ippolita Rostagno '86, world renowned jeweler, dancer, and entrepreneur will speak on how she used her English degree and Oxy experiences in business, art, and achieving success. She holds a degree in sculpting from the Italian Istituto d'Arte and founded an alternative dance company, Rime, in Los Angeles. In 2011, she was inducted into the Council of Fashion Designers of America.