Media Classroom Maintenance Improvements
We are moving one step further into the world of all-digital classrooms and will soon greatly improve our ability to fix problems quickly, before they impact teaching plans.
This summer ITS applied for and received a grant from Extron Electronics, the manufacturer of the control systems in our media rooms. The systems allow us to upgrade the controls in all of our classrooms so that they will alert ITS staff when such trackable problems as a lamp failure occur. This will help our staff get to the room with the right information and tools to resolve problems quicker. Through the server we will also have a back-end view of the system status, adding the potential for remote support and troubleshooting for Oxy’s 70+ media rooms.
- This system will not replace staff immediately going out to classrooms if we receive a phone call about a problem.
- We will not be able to see content projected onto the classroom screens or computers - only a back-end view of the system status. We'll be delighted to show you how it works when the system is set up; see above for an example of a rooms list with the current system and lamp status.
- This system will not replace weekly classroom checks.
As we learn about what kinds of problems might be handled remotely and more quickly, we'll talk with you and figure out together the best way to support you if you encounter a problem while you are teaching.
In preparation for the use of this new system and to address inconsistencies in the way some classroom controls work, ALL media classrooms have been reviewed in depth by our AV contractors and Media Services staff, and controls have been re-programmed for as much consistency as possible across all rooms.
We got great feedback last year about our faster response time and vigilance in communicating with professors about problems in classrooms, and we're looking forward to further improvements this year. Lisa Spencer Mattia (firstname.lastname@example.org) will be happy to answer any questions you might have about the upgraded control system.
- Info Center:
- Technology Support Desk:
(323) 259-2880 email@example.com
- IR Operations Offices: (323) 259-2832