Pharos Print Drivers
ITS has launched a pilot project in the Academic Commons that changes the way printing & copying are done on the public multifunction devices in this building. Our new print management system, Pharos Uniprint, utilizes “release to print” functionality. In order to print or copy, all members of the community must swipe their ID card or enter Oxynet credentials at the printer.
How it works:
- Send a print job to a printer in the Academic Commons from a lab, office, or personal computer.
- Walk up to the printer, swipe your ID card or enter your Oxynet credentials.
- A list of your pending print jobs is displayed, you select the print job to be printed and then the document prints.
- This process also applies to copying. You must swipe your card or enter credentials in order to copy.
Here is what you need to do:
Install the appropriate print packages for your personal machine or for your Oxy machine. The queues that are installed on personal machines will prompt for Oxynet credentials upon printing, and are named with a "-Login" at the end of the queue name. The queues installed on Oxy computers will not prompt for a login before printing. Note that you will not be able to download these packages or print from off campus.
You may receive a warning from your antivirus software during this installation. If so please authorize an exception for Pharos. If you have an add-on firewall you may also have to open TCP port 28201 to 184.108.40.206, Oxy's print server. Any previously installed drivers for the Academic Commons should be removed as they will no longer work.
Important Information and Key Benefits:
- We are not charging for printing or copying as part of the pilot project.
- There will be no quota or limit on printing or copying as part of the pilot project.
- Elimination of unwanted print jobs - if you forget to release your print job, it will stay in the queue for two hours, then be deleted.
- Print from any location on campus to the Academic Commons printers and release the print job when it is convenient for you.
- Reduction in runaway print jobs.
- Easier printer installation method.
- Info Center:
- Technology Support Desk:
(323) 259-2880 firstname.lastname@example.org
- IR Operations Offices: (323) 259-2832