International students attending Oxy on F-1 visa are allowed to work under certain conditions.
On-Campus Employment Policies & Procedure
Students on F-1 visa can only work on campus where they attend. If you are on F-1 visa, you are allowed to work part-time (15 hours per week) during academic terms; and full-time (40 hour per week) during winter and summer breaks on campus. Most departments and offices on campus require the help of student workers. Qualifications and salaries for different jobs vary, and hiring for some positions is more competitive than for others.
Oxy Job Posting for students: Student Positions Posting
Are you hired on-campus?: If you got a job on-campus, you must follow the steps here to ensure that you comply with Oxy policies and US government regulations.
Internships are available on and off campus, please contact the Hameetman Career Center for more information. For potential paid internship approvap process, see below.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT): Current international students may be eligible to participate in Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for a paid internship during the academic year on in summer. You may engage in CPT part-time while classes are in session, or full-time during breaks.
- You must have been enrolled at the College for one full academic year
- You must have maintained lawful status and be a degree seeking student.
- The internship must be integral to your major.
- You must comply with all Oxy internship requirements of the College; the Hameetman Career Center manages internships for the College.
Please note that one full year of participating in CPT renders you ineligible for Optional Practical Training after graduation.
- How to be approved for CPT: Read, complete and drop this form at IPO. Request for an appointment for any further inquiry or question.
There are limited options for off campus employment. A permission for off-campus employment is granted for very specific reasons and must be approved by both IPO and USCIS. Any off-campus employment without permission from college can result into serious violation of campus and immigration policy.
- You must be in valid F-1 status for at least nine months to be eligible.
- Your work must be related to your field of study for a specific period of time.
- It may be part-time during the school year or full-time during vacation periods
- Please contact us to inquire for more information at 323-259-2533 or email.
McKinnon Center for Global Affairs Johnson 102