IPO is planning international student orientation activities for Fall 2016! This site will be updated as more information becomes available.
Tentative International Student Orientation Dates for Fall 2016:
- Friday, August 19 - First year, degree seeking international students arrive on campus
- Wednesday, August 24 - Exchange students arrive on campus
- Thursday, August 25 - New Student Orientation Program - mandatory for all new students
IPO is seeking 5 international orientation team members to meet and greet new international students to Occidental in Fall 2016. With the IPO staff, team members actively co-plan and co-present orientation for four-year and exchange students, helping them adjust and acclimate socially and academically to the US, Los Angeles and Occidental College.
- Team moves onto campus - August 15 and 16
- Training and planning sessions - August 17-18
- Conduct Orientation - August 19 - 25
Housing and meals provided for the duration. While we are currently in the planning stages of the overall program, there are generally two distinct orientations. The first is for International students who are four year, degree-seeking students. The second orientation is for visiting and exchange students who will "study abroad" at Oxy. The team contributes to the planning, organizing and execution of various sessions, activities and events, everything from making copies to leading discussion sessions. Be prepared to be felexible, high-energy, work hard and HAVE FUN!
Gain leadership experience, make new friends and meet students from all over the world! This is a leadership position at the College.
Applications for team member positions will be accepted until March 15. You may be invited for an interview. A group meeting, planning session will be held on April 1. APPLICATION COMING SOON.
To see last year's orientation program, scroll down.
International Student Orientation
Meet your 2015 Orientation Team!
FALL 2015 ORIENTATION DATES:
Three distinct International Student Orientations will be conducted to meet the needs of new international students to Occidental College! Programming is tailored to fit the needs of each group, depending on where you went to high school, your experience with US culture and academics and your relationship to the college. Programming for each is different, so please plan to arrive between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm on the following dates:
- Friday, August 14 Students who went to high school OUTSIDE of the U.S., UK or Canada. Sessions begin on Saturday, August 15.
- Tuesday, August 18 Exchange and visiting students attending Occidental for one semester or year. Sessions begin on Wednesday, August 19.
- Thursday, August 20 Students who went to high school INSIDE the US, UK or Canada.
If you arrive earlier than these dates, you will need to make alternate housing arrangements.
All new international students will meet and attend the mandatory International Student Lunch and Welcome at 11:00 on Friday, August 21 in Dumke Commons in Swan Hall.
We are looking forward to meeting you in person!
Questions? Contact the International Programs Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Am I an international student?
International students are citizens of another country attending Occidental on an F or J student visa. As non-US citizens, you are subject to federal regulations pertaining to your non-immigrant status. It will be important that you maintain contact with the International Programs Office so that you can remain legally in the US as a student. More information on your rights and responsibilities as an international student and maintaining status in the visa section.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (323) 259-2533
- Visit: McKinnon Center for Global Affairs Johnson 102