Explore & Apply
The question is "what do you want to learn?" . . . not just "where do you want to go?"
Use every part of the process to deepen your knowledge about yourself, your intended destination and your program.
1. Eligibility - The application process is rigorous and frequently competitive. The basic requirements are:
- Junior or senior status while abroad (exceptions may apply to Oxy Faculty-Led Courses)
- Target GPA of 3.0 at the time of application
- Appropriate and well articulated scholarly purposes for participation demonstrated in all parts of the application
- Neither on academic or disciplinary probation nor under investigation for violations which may result in probation between application and departure
- All holds cleared with campus departments and offices before leaving campus
2. Attend an information session.
- This will cover program types, credit transfer and finances.
- Offered 2-3 times per week.
- Call (323) 259-2533 or stop by the office to schedule.
2. Explore program options. <NOTE: You must use a browser other than Internet Explorer.>
- Our "featured" programs have a proven track-record of Oxy participation, faculty/staff site-visits and a strong connection to our curriculum.
- Not finding the right fit? Make an appointment with IPO to discuss the programs not on our "featured" list. They are available on a case-by-case basis through our partnerships with CIEE, SIT, IES, CET, etc. Other options may not replicate countries and/or program themes on the College approved list. Always ask IPO.
- Don't try a short-cut because study abroad during a leave of absence renders you ineligible for College financial aid or scholarships and no credit will be transferred toward the Occidental degree.
3. Meet with an IPO advisor.
- Once you have attended an info session, you are encouraged to meet one-on-one with a staff member, ESPECIALLY if choosing a program not on our "featured" list.
- Bring your Study Abroad Planning Worksheet (from the information session) and a myOxy printout of your transcript
4. Select a program that best suits your academic needs and personal interests using our searchable programs list. Within the page for the program of your choice, hit the "Apply Now" button.
6. Apply by the deadlines
Fall 2014 - February 10, 2014
Spring 2015 - February 10, 2014 priority deadline. September 15, 2014 final deadline.
Complete applications include:
- 2 Faculty Recommendations - Oxy's on-line application system will assist you in requesting these and IPO will forward the forms for approved applicants to our partners—no need to fill out program-specific forms. Be SURE to discuss your proposal and/or send a copy of your essay questions to your recommender. They cannot complete the form unless they know your reasons for study abroad.
- Oxy's on-line application - Access the application on each program page in the searchable programs list. Our application requires three essays. Review the prompts here.
***PLEASE NOTE - If you have technical difficulties during the period that the College is closed for winter break (Dec. 21 - January 5), KEEP CALM and work on your essays. The prompts are available along with some essay advice. We will be back in the office to answer your questions on January 6.
- Program specific application - Apply directly to your program following their application process and deadlines. You could be approved by your program and not by Oxy, but you must be approved by Oxy to receive academic credit. Or you could be approved by Oxy and not your program. In that case, we would try to help you find another program.Once you're ready to apply, see the Apply page for Spring 2014 only.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (323) 259-2533
- Visit: McKinnon Center for Global Affairs Johnson 102