Remain fully enrolled at Occidental and earn 16 in-residence credits while conducting a fulltime internship at a government agency, think-tank, non-governmental organization, elected officials' offices, etc.
Interns serve as entry-level professionals with substantive responsibilities. Please review the Washington Internship website for complete details.
Usually a maximum of 8 credits (two courses) will be applied toward the POLS* major. Exceptions considered by the Chair on a case-by-case basis.
internship 8 credits
(4 credits College elective, 4 credits POLS internship)
internship seminar 4 credits - Reflections on Public Service, Leadership and Professional Development
thematic seminar 4 credits - select one course
- US Foreign policy (equivalent to POLS major international relations requirement)
- Women and Global Leadership (equivalent to POLS American Politics major elective)
- Environmental Policy (equivalent to POLS American Politics major elective)
- Inside Washington (equivalent to POLS American Politics major elective)
Housing & Meals
Interns share program apartments in nearby Virginia, a short commute by Metro.
Meals are on your own in the apartment kitchen or many restaurants.
As with Occidental at the United Nations, participants are charged Occidental tuition and standard double room for the semester. The College pays the program fee to WII and rent, and IPO issues a stipend for local transportation. Meals are purchased on your own, but Financial Aid eligible students may have the cost of meals included in their total package. Consult with Financial Aid.
The application process is rigorous and expected to be competitive. The basic requirements are:
- Junior status during participation
- Target GPA of 3.2 at the time of application
- Appropriate and well articulated scholarly purposes for participation demonstrated in all parts of the application
- Neither on academic or disciplinary probation nor under investigation for code of conduct violations which may result in probation between application and departure
- All holds cleared with campus departments and offices before leaving campus
Use the IPO Application System to apply.
Applicants may be selected for an interview.
Dr. Caroline Heldman, Chair, Politics
Dr. Thalia Gonzalez, Politics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (323) 259-2533
- Visit: McKinnon Center for Global Affairs Johnson 102