The required pre-departure process lays the foundation for a successful experience abroad. Each step, from paperwork to medical clearance to the mandatory orientation, provides the opportunity to learn about common risks and increase capacity to stay safe and healthy, and to a build framework of knowledge and skills—an intercultural toolbox—for meaningful interactions in the host culture.
Fall Study Abroad: Due April 10. Spring Study Abroad: Due November 1.
- Orientation and on-time pre-departure documents are mandatory.
- Your passport must be valid 6 months beyond your return to the United States. Get one at www.travel.state.gov/passport.
- While you’re on that site, explore the information for your destination country. Locate your embassy! IPO will register you with it, in case of emergency. Check with your program to find out about a visa.
Safety & Health
- College statements on Location Safety and Travel Policy.
- Insurance: you are automatically enrolled in Oxy’s insurance for the semester unless our international partners enrolls you in their insurance. IPO will contact students eligible to opt-out of the Oxy insurance. Read more. Also see the Emmons site for more details.
- Notify IPO early if you have any ongoing mental or physical health concerns. These can be intensified by study abroad and we want to help you succeed. We will contact you if your health report indicates a need for follow-up.
- Sexual and gender expression abroad can be quite different from what you’re used to in Los Angeles. Come talk to us in IPO.
- Disabilities and Study Abroad: Are you receiving Individualized Academic Accommodations? Do you have special needs? Keep in mind that countries vary in how they can or will meet these needs. Discuss any concerns with IPO early!
- If you require follow-up from your health report, use this follow-up form.
- If you will be abroad in the fall semester of your Senior year: Complete and submit the Application for Graduation before going abroad. See the Registrar's Office for details.
- Need fingerprints for your country's visa? Here are some local places to have that done.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (323) 259-2533
- Visit: McKinnon Center for Global Affairs Johnson 102