Summer/winter abroad experiences are defined as independent experiences earning transfer credit by Registrar and IPO guidelines . . . even if Oxy partners with a particular organization for semester study abroad.
Register your plans & transfer credit.
- USE THIS LINK to register your plans and request an IPO summer/winter scholarship. There is a $26 abroad transfer fee no matter how many credits transfer. Details below.
- Complete the standard Registrar Transfer Credit form. IPO MUST SIGN OFF! Don't repeat courses or course levels you have already taken. Earn at least a C for the credits to transfer. If you are not seeking credit, please contact our office so that we can redirect you, see the instructions on this page. Stop by JOHN 102 or call 323-259-2533.
Need help finding a program?
While our informal advising does not constitute an endorsement of the quality, content, safety or particular relevance of the experience to the student’s academic program, we can suggest a research strategy, help identify legitimate programs and verify accreditation. Some resources we recommend are GoAbroad.com, StudyAbroad101.com, and IIEPassport.org
Before you attend an individual advising meeting, please complete the Summer Advising form. Here's how:
- Click the "request advising" button below.
- Search on the name of any city.
- Click on a program name. Your choice has no effect on your future study abroad plans - promise!
- In the center right of your screen hit "request advising" again. The system will then tell you that you are about to request advising - say "okay."
- Log in, choose the button with the option: I have a username and password. Then use your normal myOxy credentials.
View this chart for a comparison of our programs.
Apply to and pay the program, not Oxy.
Unlike the competitive semester process, you apply directly to your program sponsor following their deadlines and process, not Oxy’s. Once approved, you pay all fees (except the $26 registration fee) directly to your program, not Oxy. However, you MUST REGISTER YOUR PLANS WITH IPO to receive credit. The $26 fee which ensures credit transfer will be applied before, during, or after your program - depending on when you register to have your credit transferred. If your abroad experience does NOT earn academic credit, follow the instructions on this page.
IPO Scholarship Details
Register your summer plans by April 10 or winter plans by November 1. USE THIS LINK
IPO manages a pool of $50,000-$60,000 summer/winter scholarships! In addition, many programs have robust scholarship pools. The IPO mini-grants ($250 - $6,000 on a need-based sliding scale) defray the cost of summer/winter study abroad for as many eligible students as possible. These funds are not intended for students who have already spent a semester abroad, attended an Oxy-faculty-led course abroad, or received a College travel grant (Richter, Young, Anderson, URC, etc.).
Health & Safety!
For summer and winter travel, is your own responsibility to verify with your medical professional that you are healthy enough to travel and any preparation you may need (www.cdc.gov/travel). Similarly, you must determine that your destination is safe (travel.state.gov click “International Travel,” choose the country, click “Threats to Safety and Security” and “Crime.”). Always check with IPO and your program for advice. See College statements on Location Safety and Travel Policy.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (323) 259-2533
- Visit: McKinnon Center for Global Affairs Johnson 102