Information for New Faculty
Welcome to Oxy! For all of your technology needs, please contact the Technology Helpdesk at 323-259-2880 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Computer & Software
We will be contacting you over the summer to ask about your computer and software needs so that we are able to provide you with a computer and any software you need when you arrive in the fall.
We use Moodle as our course management system. If you're unfamilar with Moodle, access the online training course or send questions or requests for training to to the Technology Helpdesk. The Scholarship Technology group also hosts drop-in sessions in the fall to help you set up your Moodle courses.
View information on setting up Course reserves.
Research and Instruction Support
In addition to the assistance that you can receive through ITS, you'll find a number of folks who support your specific teaching and research needs in the Scholarship Technology group. Send any requests or questions you have to email@example.com, and if the topic is best addressed by one of the staff in this area, we'll route the request directly to them. We also recommend dropping by for one of the CDLR's High-Tech Happy Hours to meet the staff and learn about the new technologies they are exploring.
5 things we recommend you do right away:
Log into your Oxyconnect account, click on the gear near the upper right, and choose Settings.
- Set up your chat settings to your liking. The default setting allows anyone with whom you communicate often to see when you're online and chat with you. You may want to change it so that you only allow people you've explicitly approved to chat with you and see when you're online.
- You may want to turn off the Web Clips that appear above your inbox—simply uncheck the box at the top of the Web Clips settings page.
- If you set up a signature, go to the Labs tab and Enable "Signature Tweaks," then click save. This will ensure that your signature appears just below the text you send rather than at the very bottom of the email.
- In the Labs tab, enable "Undo Send" and then click save.
- Go to the General tab, and set the "Undo Send" period you prefer.
Connecting Oxyconnect to your phone
View information on connecting your email to your phone or other email clients.
Online help options
There is a lot of great content online to help you get started if you're unfamiliar with Gmail. Please note that these help articles are geared toward all Gmail users, but most of the content is also relevant for your Oxyconnect account, which is a Google Apps for Education account.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org