Checkout Laptop Policy
Occidental College Policy Information & Content:
What is this policy?
This policy outlines the responsibilities that individuals must accept when they check out a laptop computer from the College library.
Who is affected by this policy?
This policy applies to all individuals who check out a laptop computer from the College library.
Why was this policy created?
The laptop checkout program offers a way for members of the Occidental College community to obtain a laptop for temporary use at no monetary cost. Since laptops are portable and since multiple members of the College community may use the same physical laptop within a short span of time, there are certain risks that are exposed for the College as well as for community members. These include, but are not limited to:
- Theft of College property - laptops are easy to steal and their relatively high value and easiness to sell makes them common targets of theft.
- Exposure of sensitive, institutional information - misplaced or unsecured laptops may expose sensitive information to the public. In addition, confidential files containing sensitive information may be left on the laptop and be seen by another individual who checks out the same machine.
- Exposure of private information - in addition to information that is sensitive, private information may also be exposed when the laptop is stolen or checked out by another individual.
- Damage of College property - laptops are more susceptible to damage, both due to their portable nature and their relatively fragile construction.
Occidental College Checkout Laptop Policy - Content
When an Occidental College community member checks out a laptop, s/he accepts responsibility for safeguarding the laptop itself as well as the data stored on the laptop.
Laptop users are expected to exercise reasonable care and take the following precautions:
- Take appropriate steps to protect the laptop from theft.
- Laptop security cables should be used whenever possible. Security cables will be provided by ITS and ITS staff can provide instruction on proper usage of the security cable.
- Laptops that are not secured with a cable should not be left unattended in a private office without closing and locking the door.
- Laptops that are not secured with a cable and left unattended overnight should be kept in a locked drawer or cabinet, if available. Otherwise, the laptop should be kept out of plain sight.
- Laptops left unattended in a parked car should be kept out of plain sight or locked in the trunk.
Do not work on or save sensitive information on a laptop without taking appropriate precautions
- Sensitive information refers to any data that is protected by College policy, or by any local, state or national laws or regulations. This includes, but is not limited to, education records, personally identifiable information, and confidential internal College information.
- If working with sensitive information, contact ITS to get encryption software installed.
- ITS staff will answer any questions regarding what data is considered sensitive and what is not.
Take care to protect the laptop from damage
- Laptops should not be used in locations that might increase the likelihood of damage.
- Laptops should be kept in a padded carrying case or sleeve during transportation.
Report damage, loss or theft as soon as possible
- Reports should be sent to the Library Circulation Desk. The Circulation Desk can be reached by phone at (323) 259-2640 and by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the case of theft, a report will also need to be made to Campus Safety at (323) 259-2511 or by email at email@example.com.
If a laptop is damaged, lost or stolen and the above precautions were not followed, the person to whom the laptop was provided will be held responsible for assuming part or all of the cost of repairing or replacing the laptop. The determination of responsibility will be made by the Dean of the College in consultation with ITS.
By checking this laptop out to your Occidental College account, you agree to adhere to the terms of the Checkout Laptop Policy as stated above.
For more information about penalties and loan period visit the Library Policies page.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org