The Keck Program for Undergraduate Research at Occidental College invites proposals from faculty in the arts, humanities, and social sciences for seminars to be taught during the 2014-15 academic year.
The purpose of Keck seminars is to promote undergraduate research in the arts, humanities, and social sciences using the resources, collections, and archival materials in local art museums, libraries, and cultural institutions. Participating faculty receive a $1000 course development stipend, a $1500 course budget to support field trips, guest speakers, and related projects, and an Education-in-Action student facilitator to assist with transportation arrangements, course logistics, and research related to the seminars. Additionally, Keck faculty will be part of a campus intellectual community through workshops and roundtables focused on teaching, mentoring undergraduate research, and faculty scholarship.
Faculty Application Process
- Course title, departmental affiliation, course level (CSP or 200- or 300-level research seminar), Core requirements met, semester offered, course to be replaced
- Course description
- Principal course objectives
- Brief discussion of the local museum, library, or cultural institution that would serve as a community partner, as well as the resources that will be the basis of student research, and faculty background in working with the institution (if any)
- Preliminary syllabus outline (conceptual units, readings, timeline)
- Preliminary description of student research project
- Description of additional materials, preparatory research, technology, or transportation needed.
- Brief description of the role an EIA (Education-in-Action) student facilitator would serve with your course
- Indication that course has been discussed with and approved by Department Chair
- Brief discussion of how the faculty member will recruit students for the seminar and promote the seminar
- Program Director: Lisa Sousa (firstname.lastname@example.org) ···
- Administrative Support: Edmond Johnson (email@example.com)