Placement Test Information
Learn about Language Requirements & Placement Exams
Fulfillment of the Core Language Requirement
Core Language Requirements are outlined in the college catalog. Some majors or minors, such as languages, Diplomacy and World Affairs, as well as some programs to study abroad, may have additional requirements.
Exemption exams for French and Spanish: If your online placement score places you in 201 or 202 you are eligible to take the exemption exam. If you are planning on continuing this language at Oxy, you do not need to take the exemption exam now (if you cannot complete the 201 or 202 class you can take the exemption test at the Keck Language and Culture Studio at a later date).
German: Exemption Interview: If your online placement score places you in German 201 or 202 you are eligible to take the exemption interview during the first week of classes. If you are planning on continuing German at Oxy, you do not need to take the exemption interview.
Online Language Placement for Spanish, French, or German
Online Placement Exams for Spanish, French, and German: If you are planning on taking any of these three languages in the Fall 2014, you must take the online placement exam before you can register into the appropriate class. After completing the placement exam online you can log in to my.oxy.edu and view your result and placement under the Academics tab.
Instructions (For Spanish, French, or German only):
- Make sure you have a username to login onto campus email and computer systems (consult your frosh orientation packet or contact Information and Technology Services)
- Go to Moodle and select the Language Placement Test or click here: Language Placement Tests
- Read the instructions carefully, and make sure you have a full hour ahead of you. The test must be taken in one sitting.
Language Placement for Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Latin and Arabic
Contact Chris Gilman email@example.com
Results and Registration Information
• For All test results and registration into language classes please contact the Registrar's Office: http://www.oxy.edu/Registrar.xml
(Please allow 2 business days for your placement/exemption score to be processed and for it to show up on your my.oxy.edu account)
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org