Current Occidental College students, faculty, and staff are eligible to use the library facilities and resources with their Oxy IDs.
Alumni need to purchase an Occidental College (Oxy) Alumni ID card from the Card Office for $20.00, before they register at the Circulation Desk. When purchasing an OXY Alumni ID Card, the card may be upgraded to allow access to the building, before 9:00 A.M. and after 5:00 P.M.
Library Services for Guests
Short-term Access passes
The general public, with specific research needs, may use the main library for academic and research-related purposes.
Access passes are available at the Circulation Desk (for up to three weeks) to access Occidental physical items, with no borrowing privileges.
Extended use passes
Library Patron Membership is available (for 1 year) with borrowing privileges for books and in library use of DVDs. Memberships may be purchased or renewed at the Circulation Desk for $150/year.
Special Collections & College Archives
Occidental College is a private institution. Special Collections services and reading room are not available to guests except by appointment. Outside research requests must be made via email at email@example.com. Researchers will be asked to complete a research application in advance. See Special Collections Research Services for more information.
Scholars affiliated with other academic institutions
An appointment with the Circulation & Reserve Manager is required to complete, process, and issue a card for Courtesy Use and Academic Referrals. Upon request, privileges may be extended from a semester to a full academic year.
Courtesy Use for Visiting Scholars
A visiting scholar may use the library's resources with no borrowing privileges. Scholars are required to present a letter of introduction or reference from either Occidental faculty, Dean, or the Department Head from the scholar's home institution to the Circulation & Reserve Manager. Letters of introduction from outside of Occidental College should be submitted on the institution’s letterhead.
Academic Referral by an Occidental College department
Academic Referral scholars may use the library's resources and check-out Occidental College materials. They need to be sponsored by an Occidental College academic department. The chair of the department needs to provide a letter of introduction (including an account number) and give explicit authorization for the library to post charges to the department.
Occidental Partners, Consortium Members, Institutional Guests
Users associated with Occidental College partners listed below should register at the Circulation Desk to receive an Occidental College Library Guest Borrower card.
- Art Center College of Design
- Advanced placement students from participating high schools
- Occidental employee families
- Occidental Upward Bound
- SCELC (Statewide California Electronic Library Consortium) faculty
- Who can borrow and for how long?
- What are the penalties for overdue or lost items?
- Are there special rules for borrowing laptops?
- How do I file an appeal for penalties on overdue or lost items?
- What are Link+ and Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
- How do I reserve a locker?
Students, Faculty, and Employees may borrow a variety of items from our Reserve and video collections, book stacks and other libraries.
Alumni and Affiliated Borrowers may borrow any available materials from our book stacks and video collections.
See table below for loan periods and reservation requirements.
|On-site use only|
Laptops (walk up)
|Special Collections||By appointment³||By appointment³||By appointment³||By appointment³||By appointment³||By appointment³|
¹ Renewals Allowed
² Campus Visitors may be able to make an appointment to view Oxy media in one of the library viewing rooms.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a viewing appointment.
The items below may be reserved in advance for special events by using the online Library Equipment Request Form. Demand is high for this equipment so you must make arrangements in advance.
- Long Term Laptops
- Sound equipment and accessories
- Cameras and projection equipment
- Telecommunication System
Loan period is 6 hours, no renewals and no holds. Returned laptops will be unavailable for a short time for maintenance. Laptops are circulated on a first come, first serve basis. Occidental faculty, students and staff may book a laptop to checkout in advance for up to one week per month.
- Please be considerate of others and wear headphones when using the laptops to listen to music or watch movies.
- By checking out a laptop from the Occidental College Library, users agree to adhere to Checkout Laptop Usage Policy.
- It is the borrower's responsibility to return items on time and in the same condition as when checked out.
- Ask if you need a mouse, network cord or external disc drive. All items are checked-out separately and subject to late fees.
See the table below for penalties for overdue, lost, or damaged laptops.
- LINK+ and Interlibrary Loan accrue daily overdue fines at $1 per day. An item is considered lost and a bill is generated when that item is overdue for a number of days/hours equal to the loan period. The bill will be the replacement costs plus a non-refundable $10 billing fee.
- Course Reserves accrue hourly fines: fines are $2 for the first 3 hours overdue and $4 for the 4th hour.
- Laptops and media equipment loans accrue hourly fines: fines are $2 per hour to a maximum of $48.
- Damaged books will be billed to borrowers for the same replacement cost and billing fee as a lost book.
- Damaged laptops: students will be charged for the cost of repairs for units returned damaged.
- Students with charges on their Library records in excess of $420 will temporarily lose borrowing privileges until items are renewed/returned or fines paid. Unpaid library charges are forwarded to Student Accounts on a monthly basis. Charges sent to Student Accounts for collection will be automatically credited if the item is returned within 6 months. After 6 months, a credit may be requested if the item has not been replaced.
- Faculty and staff with charges on their library records in excess of $100 will temporarily lose borrowing privileges until fines are paid.
- Guests with charges on their library records in excess of $10 will temporarily lose borrowing privileges until fines are paid.
The Table below is for Replacement costs, including fines and billing fees. The amounts listed in this table are approximate. The cost listed for books is a default minimum. Some individual items may be billed at a higher replacement value.
Minimum Replacement cost
Link+ and ILL
Go to the on-line form.
- The appeal must be submitted within 60 calendar days of the date the bill is issued.
- Claims returned for LINK+ and ILL must be substantiated by the owning library.
- Library appeals are not reviewed for the following or related reasons: forgot due date; didn’t receive notices; books left in locked dorm room; can’t afford the fines/fees; book bag stolen; left campus for breaks or holidays; thought books were automatically renewed.
Link+ is a catalog of holdings from particiapting libraries in California and Nevada. Patrons from member libraries electronically request an item not available in their own library and it is delivered to them for check-out.
The Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service provides Oxy students, faculty, and staff free retrieval from sources outside Occidental College. For assistance with either resource email email@example.com, or call 323.259.2628.
Additional Notes on Borrowing Privileges
Remote access to databases is available ONLY to Occidental Patrons who have Oxy email.
Borrowing privileges such as: checkout, booking laptops/ AV equipment, Interlibrary loan (ILL), Link+, Camino are offered ONLY to Occidental Faculty, Students and Staff:
Lockers are available to enrolled students. Reserve a locker from Information Resources Operations, located on the first floor, new wing, room 116. Operations hours are M-F 8:30a-5p. You can complete the INFORMATION RESOURCES STUDENT LOCKER POLICY & RENTAL FORM by clicking here. Once it is completed, please stop by the Operations Office to pick up your key & pay your deposit. Drop ins are welcome or you may call 323.259.2960 to make an appointment.
Student Locker Policy
- The 51 single-occupancy lockers on the first floor of the Academic Commons are assigned to current Occidental College students on a one-year basis as available. A $20.00 key deposit is required.
- Locks are provided with each locker and must remain with that locker throughout the borrowing period. Any change of lock will result in IMMEDIATE LOSS of locker privileges and LOSS of the $20.00 key deposit.
- Access to and use of the lockers will only be permitted during regular building hours.
- ALL LIBRARY MATERIALS MUST BE CHECKED OUT BEFORE PLACING THEM IN A LOCKER. No periodicals or reference materials may be kept in the locker at any time.
- Lockers will be subject to inspection by authorized Information Resources staff for library materials not properly checked out. A locker privilege will be subject to cancellation for failure to comply with checkout policies.
- Locker assignments are non-transferable and are subject to reassignment at the beginning of each school year. Your locker key must be returned to the Information Resources Operations Office by the last day of finals, Spring Term. Failure to return the key by the deadline will result in the LOSS of the deposit.
- Upon return of the key, you will receive a signed locker key receipt for the $20.00 deposit refund. You will need to redeem the receipt at the Cashier’s Office in the Arthur G. Coons building. *Please check the Cashier's hours to ensure you will have sufficient time to complete the transaction.
The Occidental College library provides services, facilities, and technological resources to support the College’s educational, research, artistic, professional, and community-service goals. The following policies are intended to govern the use of the facilities and collections
- Smoking is not permitted. This includes the use of electronic cigarettes and vaporizers.
- Designated service animals are allowed inside the building; other animals are not allowed.
- Bicycles should be parked at campus bike racks.
- Display of posters, distribution of literature, or solicitation is prohibited (except in designated areas). A request should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org for approval.
- Professional filming or photography inside the library facility must be approved in advance. A request should be submitted to email@example.com for approval.
- Library reading and designated group study rooms are accessible to all Occidental patrons first come first serve. They can be reserved up to one month in advance for a maximum time of two hours only by Occidental College Faculty, students, and staff via Master Calendar. Library room capacity must be considered before booking based upon the estimated number of attendees.
- Non-Oxy affiliated patrons have to visit the Conference Services website in regard to planning an event or reserving a space
- Computers and other media devices in public spaces should not be used to access or display content that is inappropriate, prohibited, or unlawful.
- When the security gate alarm is triggered, guests should approach the Circulation Desk to clear their belongings before they proceed to the exit doors.
- Disruptive behavior, discrimination, or abuse against others is not permitted. Patrons behaving in such a manner may be asked to leave. Disruptive behavior includes but is not limited to verbal abuse, excessive noise, or any other activity that might disturb the safety and work of others.
- Anyone who destroys or tampers with library material or property may lose library privileges.
- Occidental College library reserves the right to refuse access and borrowing privileges to any person who fails to follow library regulations.