The policies listed here advise you on using Library services. Have a question about a policy? Please email the contact(s) listed in the policy. If no contact is specified, please send your questions to email@example.com.
- Who can borrow and for how long?
- What are the penalties for overdue or lost items?
- Are there special rules for borrowing laptops?
- How do I file an appeal for penalties on overdue or lost items?
- What are Link+ and Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
Building Use and Access
- Who can come into the building?
- How do I reserve a room in the building?
- How do I get approval for filming in the building?
- How do I reserve a locker?
Students, Faculty, and Employees may borrow a variety of items from our Reserve and video collections, book stacks and other libraries.
Alumni and Affiliated Borrowers may borrow any available materials from our book stacks and video collections.
See tables below for loan periods and reservation requirements.
|On-site use only|
Laptops (walk up)
|Special Collections||By appointment³||By appointment³||By appointment³||By appointment³||By appointment³||By appointment³|
¹ Renewals Allowed ² Campus Visitors may be able to make an appointment to view Oxy media in one of the library viewing rooms. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a viewing appointment. ³ See Special Collections for more information about their research services, or to request an appointment.
The items below may be reserved in advance for special events by using the online Library Equipment Request Form. Demand is high for this equipment so you must make arrangements in advance.
- Long Term Laptops
- Sound equipment and accessories
- Cameras and projection equipment
- Telecommunication System
Loan period is 6 hours, no renewals and no holds. Returned laptops will be unavailable for a short time for maintenance. Laptops are circulated on a first come, first served basis.
- Please be considerate of others and wear headphones when using the laptops to listen to music or watch movies.
- By checking out a laptop from the Occidental College Library, users agree to adhere to Checkout Laptop Usage Policy.
- It is the borrower's responsibility to return items on time and in the same condition as when checked out.
- Ask if you need a mouse, network cord or external disc drive. All items are checked-out separately and subject to late fees.
See the table below for penalties for overdue, lost, or damaged laptops.
- LINK+ and Interlibrary Loan accrue daily overdue fines at $1 per day. An item is considered lost and a bill is generated when that item is overdue for a number of days/hours equal to the loan period. The bill will be the replacement costs plus a non-refundable $10 billing fee.
- Course Reserves accrue hourly fines: fines are $2 for the first 3 hours overdue and $4 for the 4th hour.
- Laptops and media equipment loans accrue hourly fines: fines are $2 per hour to a maximum of $48.
- Damaged books will be billed to borrowers for the same replacement cost and billing fee as a lost book.
- Damaged laptops: Students will be charged for the cost of repairs for units returned damaged.
- Students with charges on their Library records in excess of $420 will temporarily lose borrowing privileges until items are renewed/returned or fines paid. Unpaid library charges are forwarded to Student Accounts on a monthly basis. Charges sent to Student Accounts for collection will be automatically credited if returned within 6 months. After 6 months, a credit may be requested if the item has not been replaced.
- Faculty and staff with charges in excess of $100 will temporarily lose borrowing privileges until fines are paid.
- Guests with charges in excess of $10 will temporarily lose borrowing privileges until fines are paid.
Table of Replacement costs, including fines and billing fees. The amounts listed in this table are approximate. The cost listed for books is a default minimum. Some individual items may be billed at a higher replacement value.
Minimum Replacement cost
Link+ and ILL
Go to the on-line form.
- The appeal must be submitted within 60 calendar days of the date the bill is issued.
- Claims returned for LINK+ and ILL must be substantiated by owning library.
- Library appeals are not reviewed for the following or related reasons: forgot due date; didn’t receive notices; books left in locked dorm room; can’t afford the fines/fees; book bag stolen; left campus for breaks or holidays; thought books were automatically renewed.
Link+ is a catalog of holding from particiapting libraries in California and Nevada. Patrons from member libraries electronically request an item not available in their own library and it is delivered to them for check-out.
The Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service provides Oxy students, faculty, and staff free retrieval of up to 40 items per term from sources outside Occidental College. If you are having difficulty with either resources contact Carol Siu via email, call 323.259.2628 or visit the ILL office on the main floor of the library between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on weekdays.
However, ILL should ONLY be used after OASys AND Link+ have been exhausted.
Building Use and Access
Entrance to the building requires an Occidental College ID. We are partners with various institutions and consortiums and offer library access and privileges to members of those organizations. Members of the public may apply for a short term courtesy pass for doing research using on-site materials from the stacks. For extended use and/or borrowing privileges, members of the public may purchase a Library Patrons membership.
Please contact the Info Center at 323.259.2640 for more information.
If you wish to request a short term pass or are visiting the library to attend a workshop or view an exhibit, please check-in at the Info Center.
Study rooms are available on a first come first serve basis, please give priority to groups. To reserve a classroom (e.g., Brown Lab, oMac, etc.") please use the Master Calendar.
Lockers are available to enrolled students. Reserve a locker from Information Resources Operations, located on the first floor, new wing, room 116. Operations hours are M-F 9a-4p. Drop ins are welcome or you may call 323.259.2832 to make an appointment.
Student Locker Policy
- The 51 single-occupancy lockers on the first floor of the Academic Commons are assigned to current Occidental College students on a one-year basis as available. A $20.00 key deposit is required.
- Locks are provided with each locker and must remain with that locker throughout the borrowing period. Any change of lock will result in IMMEDIATE LOSS of locker privileges and loss of the $20.00 key deposit.
- Access to and use of the lockers will only be permitted during regular building hours.
- ALL LIBRARY MATERIALS MUST BE CHECKED OUT BEFORE PLACING THEM IN A LOCKER. No periodicals or reference materials may be kept in the locker at any time.
- Lockers will be subject to inspection by authorized Information Resources staff for library materials not properly checked out. A locker privilege will be subject to cancellation for failure to comply with checkout policies.
- Locker assignments are non-transferable and are subject to reassignment at the beginning of each school year.
- Your locker key must be returned by the last day of finals, Spring Term. Upon return of the key, the $20.00 deposit will be refunded.