The Party Begins April 20
Occidental College will launch a year-long celebration of its 125th anniversary with a full day of activities on Founders Day, April 20, which marks the day in 1887 when Occidental was formally incorporated as Los Angeles' first and only liberal arts college.
Founders Day 2012 will feature 1887-style games, strolling singers, and roundtable discussions of current issues led by prominent Oxy alumni. That evening, at a $125-a-plate dinner in Hillside Theater, President Jonathan Veitch will lay out his vision for the future of the College.
Other anniversary observances will include:
- Occidental's 2012 Commencement ceremony on May 20, where four distinguished alumni - California State Parks director Ruth Coleman '82; business turnaround expert Steve Cooper '68; Diane Evans ‘76, JPL's director for the Earth Science and Technology Directorate; and newspaper-radio-television journalist Patt Morrison '74 - will be presented with honorary degrees.
- An all-class Alumni Reunion on June 13-17, featuring the dedication of the new Samuelson Alumni Center.
- College Convocation on August 29, when the College's innovative new 1-megawatt solar array will be formally dedicated to kick off the 2012-13 academic year.
- Homecoming Weekend on October 26-27, featuring Oxy-Pomona football, Southern California's oldest intercollegiate rivalry; dedication of the newly renovated and expanded Swan Hall; and the announcement of the inaugural class of inductees in the Occidental College Athletic Hall of Fame.
- A campus speakers series featuring distinguished alumni, and the revival of the Road Scholars speaker series, featuring Oxy faculty addressing alumni groups across the country.