Religious & Spiritual Groups on Campus
There are nine student religious and spiritual groups on campus. Participation in each group is open to all students. Check out these groups to see how you an meet other students and engage in spiritual practice and conversation.
Check out these groups to see how you can meet other students, worship and engage in spiritual practice.
- Bahai Student Group:
Student Leader: Natalie Gonzalez, email@example.com
- Buddhist Meditation Group: The Buddhist Meditation Group of Occidental College is for students of both Buddhist and non-Buddhist backgrounds seeking to encounter the teachings of Gautama Buddha who lived in India over 2,500 years ago. The focus is on Buddhism as it is lived and practiced today, and is aimed to supplement the academic approach of courses offered at the college on the religion. Meditation is conducted in the Zen style. In addition to the group’s weekly meetings, there are scheduled visitations to several Buddhist centers and temples in the Los Angeles Area. The group meets at the Herrick Interfaith Chapel and Center every Monday, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, 6:00 - 6:30 pm, and Wednesday, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Religious Advisor: Rev. Nobuko Miyoshi, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Leader: Lani Cupo, email@example.com
- Hillel: Hillel is the center of Jewish life on Occidental’s campus. Hillel, provides social, intellectual, and spiritual opportunities for students to explore and celebrate their Jewish identity.
Student Leader: Sara Packer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Club Facebook: http://oxyhillel.wordpress.com/
- Interfaith Council: The Interfaith Council is a student club created to promote a commitment to religious pluralism and interfaith cooperation. The Council provides a forum for interfaith discussion and community service. It is open to all Occidental students from all religious or spiritual traditions as well as students who do not identify as religious including Atheists, Agnostics, and Humanists.
Religious Advisor: Rev. Dr. Susan Young, email@example.com
President: Lily Goldfarb, firstname.lastname@example.org
Club E-mail: email@example.com
- InterVarsity Christian Fellowship: InterVaristy Christian Fellowship is a multiethnic community committed to following Jesus and growing in love for God together. We do this through weekly large group gatherings, small group Bible studies, social justice projects and more. Small groups meet throughout the week in various residence halls and locations. For more information, visit Facebook –“InterVarsity at Oxy.” Large group meetings will be held on Thursdays at 8:00 p.m. in Lower Herrick.
Religious Advisor: Weley Lai, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Leader: Nicholas Yeh, email@example.com
- Latter-Day Saints Students Association. Contact Dick Paulsen if interested in any Latter-Day Saints Programs/Events.
Religious Advisor: Dick Ray Paulsen, PaulsenDR@ldschurch.org
- Muslim Student Association: We are a diverse group of Muslims with roots from across the United States, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. We are a group of students dedicated to educating ourselves and others on Islam, and providing a liberating space for Muslim students to come together on a weekly basis. We work actively on taking action on issues of political, social, cultural, and religious importance. We promote an interfaith environment founded on the principles of justice and solidarity. All are welcome!
- Religious Advisor: Rev. Dr. Susan Young, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Leader: Isabella Ojeda, email@example.com
- Newman Catholic Community: The Catholic Newman Community was established on Occidental College in 1921. Rooted in the spiritual tradition of the Roman Catholic faith and called to be disciples of Jesus Christ, we are here to proclaim the Good News of God’s love for all people. As a dynamic faith community for students and faculty alike, we encourage one another through prayer, worship, and living the reality of the Christian life in an environment where students can ask questions, seek truth and encounter Jesus Christ face-to-face. As disciples of Jesus Christ, we accept our mission to reach out to all God’s people, especially to those in need, so that the Kingdom of God may be realized in our campus, community, nation and world.
Religious Advisor: Maggie Bolton, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Leader: Georgina Garcia-Obledo, email@example.com
- Progressive Christians Uniting: Progressive Christians Uniting meets weekly for prayer, reflection and discussion about Christianity. In addition to our weekly meetings, we offer opportunities for students to be engaged in social issues. This may be helping immigrant workers on their organic farms or perhaps protesting unfair propositions. We are open to anyone who would like to use their faith traditions to bring healing to the world. We don’t have all the answers but we are group where together we can explore the questions.
Religious Advisor: Rev. Heather Blackstone, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Leader: Julia Hamilton, email@example.com
- Yoga: Meets in Lower Herrick on Sundays, 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and Wednesdays, 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. We welcome people with all levels of experience in yoga..
Religious Advisor: Rev. Dr. Susan Young, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Leader: Cyndee Naideau, email@example.com
Student Leader: Maggie Price, firstname.lastname@example.org
Office for Religious and Spiritual Life (ORSL)
Occidental College, F-8
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, CA 90041
- Phone: 323-259-2621
- Fax: 323-341-4959