Religious & Spiritual Groups on Campus
There are eleven student religious and spiritual groups on campus. Participation in each group is open to all students.
Check out these groups to see how you can meet other students, worship and engage in spiritual practice.
- Bahai Student Group:
Religious Advisor: Sanaz Mohseni, email@example.com
Student Leader: Marissa Naraghi, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Buddhist Meditation Group: The Buddhist Meditation Group of Occidental College is for students of both Buddhist and non-Buddhist backgrounds seeking to encounter the teachings of Gautama Buddha who lived in India over 2,500 years ago. The focus is on Buddhism as it is lived and practiced today, and is aimed to supplement the academic approach of courses offered at the college on the religion. The talks and discussions are to stimulate the appreciation of the wisdom of Buddhism. The meditation, conversely, is to provide the experience of Buddhism. Meditation is conducted in the Zen style. In addition to the group’s weekly meetings, there are scheduled visitations to several Buddhist centers and temples in the Los Angeles Area. The group meets at the Herrick Interfaith Chapel and Center every Monday, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. and Fridays, 7:00 to 7:30 a.m.
Religious Advisor: Rev. Nobuko Miyoshi, email@example.com
Student Leader: Lani Cupo, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Life Christian Fellowship - Not Active - The aim of Life Christian Fellowship is to share the good news of Christ with everyone we meet. We hold weekly Bible studies where we not only study the Bible but also have discussion about relevant questions and how they apply to one’s daily walk with Christ. If you are looking for a spiritual home and answers to your questions, our doors are open wide, so stop by to chat with us. We’d love to meet you.
Club website: http://life-cf.org/oxy/
Club email: email@example.com
- Hillel: Hillel is the center of Jewish life on Occidental’s campus, which provides social, intellectual, and spiritual opportunities for students and staff members to explore and celebrate Jewish identity.
Student Leader: Hannah Kohanzadeh, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Club Facebook: http://oxyhillel.wordpress.com/
- Interfaith Council: The Interfaith Council is a student club created to promote a commitment to religious pluralism and to interfaith dialogue, understanding, and cooperation amongst students on campus. The Council provides a forum for interfaith discussion, exchanging ideas, and designing service projects in the community. It is open to all Occidental students who meaningfully engage with existence, this includes people of all faith backgrounds and traditions, as well as non-faith backgrounds such as Atheists, Agnostics, and Humanists.
Religious Advisor: Rev. Dr. Susan Young, email@example.com
President: Kathleen McKenzie, firstname.lastname@example.org
Club E-mail: email@example.com
- InterVarsity Christian Fellowship: InterVaristy Christian Fellowship is a multiethnic community committed to following Jesus and growing in love for God together. We do this through weekly large group gatherings, small group Bible studies, social justice projects and more. Small groups meet through out the week in various dorms and locations. For more information, visit Facebook –“InterVarsity at Oxy.” Large group meetings will be held on Thursdays at 8:00 p.m. in Lower Herrick.
Religious Advisor: Alan Zeng, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Leader: Lisa Chang, email@example.com
Facebook: "InterVarsity @ Oxy"
- Latter-Day Saints Students Association. Contact Dick Paulsen if interested in any Latter-Day Saints Programs/Events.
Religious Advisor: Dick Ray Paulsen, PaulsenDR@ldschurch.org
- Muslim Student Association: We are a diverse group of Muslims with roots from across the United States, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. We are a group of students dedicated to educating ourselves and others on Islam, and providing a liberating space for Muslim students to come together on a weekly basis. We work actively on taking action on issues of political, social, cultural, and religious importance. We promote an interfaith environment founded on the principles of justice and solidarity. All are welcome!
- Religious Advisor: Rev. Dr. Susan Young, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Leader: Mohammed Hoque, email@example.com
Student Leader: Saleem Karamali, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Leader: Hanan Mohamed, hmohamed@oxy
- Newman Catholic Community: The Catholic Newman Community was established on Occidental College in 1921. Rooted in the spiritual tradition of the Roman Catholic faith and called to be disciples of Jesus Christ, we are here to proclaim the Good News of God’s love for all people. As a dynamic faith community for students and faculty alike, we encourage one another through prayer, worship, and living the reality of the Christian life in an environment where students can ask questions, seek truth and encounter Jesus Christ face-to-face. As disciples of Jesus Christ, we accept our mission to reach out to all God’s people, especially to those in need, so that the Kingdom of God may be realized in our campus, community, nation and world.
Priest: Father Boniface Willard, email@example.com
Religious Advisor: Maggie Contreras, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Leader: Daniel Perez, email@example.com
Student Leader: Kathleen Mckenzie, KMcKenzie@oxy.edu
- Orthodox Christian Fellowship
Religious Advisor: Rev. John C. Beal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Leader: Lea Theodorou, email@example.com
Student Leader: Eden Mekonen, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Progressive Christians Uniting: Progressive Christians Uniting meets weekly for prayer, reflection and discussion about Christianity. In addition to our weekly meetings, we offer opportunities for students to be engaged in social issues. This may be helping immigrant workers on their organic farms or perhaps protesting unfair propositions. We are open to anyone who would like to use their faith traditions to bring healing to the world. We don’t have all the answers but we are group where together we can explore the questions.
Religious Advisor: Rev. Heather Blackstone, email@example.com
Student Leader: Anna Goldberg, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Leader: Julia Hamilton, email@example.com
- Yoga: Meets in Lower Herrick on Sundays, 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and Wednesdays, 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. All levels welcomed.
Religious Advisor: Rev. Dr. Susan Young, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Leader: Cyndee Naideau, email@example.com
Student Leader: Maggie Price, firstname.lastname@example.org
Office for Religious and Spiritual Life (ORSL)
Occidental College, F-8
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, CA 90041
- Phone: 323-259-2621
- Fax: 323-341-4959