First-Year Summer Reading
The 2015 Summer Reading is Elizabeth Kolbert's The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History.
This summer we would like all first-year students to purchase and read The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert. The book examines a number of extinction events occurring around us in human historical time (including the present), and, in so doing, raises important questions that will provide a foundation for our year-long campus-wide discussion about sustainability.
Elizabeth Kolbert is a staff writer for The New Yorker and the author of Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man, Nature, and Climate Change. She is a two-time National Magazine Award winner, as well as the recipient of a Heinz Award and a Guggenheim Fellowship. Since its publication in 2014, The Sixth Extinct has received considerable critical acclaim, including being named one of the "10 Best Books of 2014" by the New York Times.
Where to Buy
- Copies will be available at the Occidental College Bookstore soon
- Amazon.com offers both hardcover and paperback, as well electronic Kindle editions
- The iBook edition (for iPad) is available from the Apple iBook store
- Check with your local bookstore for availability
- Phone: 323-259-2918
- Email: email@example.com
- Location: 102 Johnson Student Center
- Getting Started: Oxy New Student