First-Year Summer Reading
The 2014 Summer Reading was Gary Younge'sThe Speech. The 2015 Summer Reading will be announced by May.
This summer we would like all first-year students to purchase and read The Speech: The Story Behind Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s Dream by Gary Younge. It will provide the foundation for a year-long campus-wide discussion of emancipation as a goal of human activity, in the U.S. and around the globe, in the past, present, and future.
Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his famous “I Have a Dream” speech from the steps of the Lincoln Monument on August 28, 1963. Half a century later, the speech endures as a defining moment in the civil rights movement and continues to be heralded as a beacon in the ongoing struggle for racial equality. In his book, Gary Younge explores both the history of the speech and its legacy today, as well as offering a critical modern analysis of why “I Have a Dream” remains America’s favorite speech.
Where to Buy
- Hardcover copies are available at the Occidental College Bookstore
- Amazon.com offers both hardcover and electronic Kindle editions (Note: The paperback edition listed on Amazon is not scheduled for release until 2015)
- The iBook edition (for iPad) is available from the Apple iBook store
- Check with your local bookstore for availability
- Phone: 323-259-2918
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: 102 Johnson Student Center
- Getting Started: Oxy New Student