By the Numbers
Founded in 1887, Occidental is a small, highly selective and diverse liberal arts college in a big city.
- You can major in 31 areas -- including seven interdisciplinary majors -- double major, declare a minor, or choose a self-designed course of study.
- We have a 10:1 student-faculty ratio.
- Average class size is 19 students.
- Most students take four classes per semester.
- You can take classes at nearby Caltech or Art Center and earn joint degrees at Columbia University, Keck Graduate Institute, and Caltech.
- Our faculty is known for excellence in teaching and research. Ninety-five percent of full-time faculty have a Ph.D. or other terminal degree.
- Occidental's Undergraduate Research Program is widely regarded as one of the best in the country.
- Each student is assigned to the College Advising Center and to a faculty member for academic advising.
- 2,117 students from 46 states, Washington, D.C. and 34 foreign countries.
- 56% women, 44% men
- 4.5% black or African-American
- 12.3% Asian
- 14.8% Hispanic of any race
- 0.1% Native American or Alaska Native
- 0.2% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
- 9.5% two or more races
- 50.6% Caucasian
- 2.1% race and ethnicity unknown
- 5.7% International
- 169 full-time faculty
- 30% scholars of color
- 50% women, 50% men
Admission and Financial Aid
- For the Class of 2018 we received 6,071 applications for a first-year class of 546 students.
- Admission is highly selective; about 42% of applicants are admitted.
- The median SAT score for admitted students is 1900; the median ACT score is 29.
- Some 74 percent of our students receive financial aid.
- Some 19% of the Class of 2018 is first-generation college students; 21% are Pell Grant rtecipients.
- Need-based aid and merit scholarship programs can make our costs comparable to public universities.
- We meet all of demonstrated financial need.
2015-16 costs for attending Occidental
|Room and board||$13,946|
In awarding financial aid, Occidental also considers indirect costs of $1,244 for books and supplies, $1,002 for local transportation, and $1,606 for personal and miscellaneous expenses.