By the Numbers
Founded in 1887, Occidental is a small, highly selective and diverse liberal arts college in a big city.
- You can major in 31 areas -- including seven interdisciplinary majors -- double major, declare a minor, or choose a self-designed course of study.
- We have a 10:1 student-faculty ratio.
- Average class size is 19 students.
- Most students take four classes per semester.
- You can take classes at nearby Caltech or Art Center and earn joint degrees at Columbia University, Keck Graduate Institute, and Caltech.
- Our faculty is known for excellence in teaching and research. Ninety-five percent above the rank of instructor have a Ph.D. or other terminal degree.
- Occidental's Undergraduate Research Program is widely regarded as one of the best in the country.
- Each student is assigned to the College Advising Center and to a faculty member for academic advising.
- 2,123 students from 43 states, Washington, D.C. and 25 foreign countries.
- 53% women, 47% men
- 4.1% black or African-American
- 13.5% Asian
- 14.4% Hispanic of any race
- 0.5% Native American or Alaska Native
- 0.1% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
- 6.1% two or more races
- 54.4% Caucasian
- 3.7% race and ethnicity unknown
- 3.2% International
- 183 full-time faculty
- 6.5% African-American
- 11% Asian-American
- 10% Latino/a
- 48% women, 52% men
Admission and Financial Aid
- This year we received more than 6,100 applications for a first-year class of approximately 540 students.
- Admission is highly selective; about 39% of applicants are admitted.
- The median SAT score for admitted students is 1950.
- Three-quarters of our students receive financial aid.
- Need-based aid and merit scholarship programs can make our costs comparable to public universities.
- We meet all of demonstrated financial need.
Estimated 2012-13 costs for attending Occidental
|Room and board||$12,458|
*Fees for 2012-13 are tentative and subject to change.
In awarding financial aid, Occidental also considers indirect costs of $1,213 for books and supplies, $926 for local transportation, and $1,496 for personal and miscellaneous expenses.