The sexual misconduct process is one of the options survivors have for reporting an incident. Please review the “How to Report” page to learn about the different on- and off-campus methods of reporting available to survivors.
As stated in the grievance procedures portion of the sexual misconduct policy, students have the right to bring an advisor to all phases of the investigation and campus conduct proceeding. This right is given to both the complainant and the respondent.
Suggestions for advisors
- Take time to talk to students about their expectations of an advisor.
- Discuss what you are able to provide for students throughout the conduct process. For instance, are you able to attend meetings with the Dean of Students Office, investigation meetings, or just the hearing?
- Familiarize yourself with the sexual misconduct policy and conduct process.
- Consider meeting with students to help them think of questions they may have or points they should bring up throughout the process.
- Remind students of important tasks, deadlines, or items to submit to the Interim Title IX Coordinator.
- Contact the Interim Title IX Coordinator if you have any questions.
- Be sure to listen to students and be supportive of their needs, which may involve referring them to an on- or off-campus resource.
- Provide feedback to the Interim Title IX Coordinator about the process. The office encourages all parties involved to provide feedback on their experience so that the process can continue to improve.
- Know your limits. Sometimes you may have to decline a student's request for a variety of reasons. By telling the student you're unable to be an advisor, you are ultimately helping them find someone who can best meet their needs.
This resource includes answers to common questions, resources, and suggestions for advisors.
- 24/7 Confidential Hotline:
- Survivor Advocate Naddia Palacios:
- Interim Title IX Coordinator Lauren Carella:
- Campus Safety Emergency Line:
(323) 259-2511 or dial 5 from any campus phone
- Dean of Students Office: (323) 259-2661