Athletics Eligibility Requirements
Students are responsible for knowing the following:
Students who choose to participate in athletics must meet the following eligibility requirements set forth by the College, the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
Academic Eligibility Requirements
Each student must make normal progress toward graduation as specified below:
At completion of the 1st semester: 12 units
Beginning of the 3rd semester: 24 units
Beginning of the 4th semester: 36 units
Beginning of the 5th semester: 52 units
Beginning of the 6th semester: 64 units
Beginning of the 7th semester: 80 units
Beginning of the 8th semester: 96 units
Beginning of the 9th semester: 112 units
Additional Academic Requirements and Policies
- Each student must have completed 24 units in the past twelve months.
- Each student must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 units in the semester of competition. If an athlete drops below 12 units, he or she becomes immediately ineligible. The only exception to this rule is if the athlete is in the final semester prior to graduation and is registered for enough credits to graduate (per NCAA by-law 126.96.36.199.1.3).
- Each student must maintain an overall and previous semester GPA at or above the academic probation level determined by the Academic Standing Committee as follows:
- 1.85 at the end of the 1st semester of the freshman year.
- 2.00 at the end of the freshman year and thereafter.
- A student-athlete granted a fifth-year of eligibility by the SCIAC and NCAA due to hardship and is representing Occidental Athletics in his or her final semester before graduating must carry a minimum of a four credit academic course load.
Additional Stipulations for Occidental College, SCIAC, and NCAA
Student-athletes may not compete on any outside team in their sport during the same season of that sport. In basketball, there is no outside competition allowed except in the summer months.
Use of Tobacco Products
Tobacco use is prohibited by athletes, coaches, trainers, managers, and game officials during practices, meetings or games.
Athletes and athletic department staff members are prohibited from any gambling activity that involves intercollegiate or professional athletics.
Student athletes must abide by the following NCAA guidelines on hazing along with the Hazing College policy.
Any act committed against someone joining or becoming a member or maintaining membership in any organization that is humiliating, intimidating or demeaning, or endangers the health and safety of the person. Hazing includes active or passive participation in such acts and occurs regardless of the willingness to participate in the activities. Hazing creates an environment/climate in which dignity and respect are absent.
All students are prohibited from any hazing activity. Hazing is against California state law and College policy.
Disciplinary action will be taken when the behavior of a student-athlete is inconsistent with the SCIAC Ethics and Conduct Statement, Occidental College regulations, or relevant laws, whether on or off the playing field or in or out of the season of competition.
Participation on an athletic team is a privilege, not a right, and suspension of that privilege can occur at any time when a student-athlete fails to conduct him or herself in a manner appropriate with the expectations of the Head Coach, Director of Athletics or other College officials.
Last updated June 20, 2012
- Phone: (323) 259-2969