Emerging Leaders Program
“ELP offers an experience where you meet like-minded people, discuss pressing topics, and ultimately feel better prepared for future participation in the Oxy community. Great experience.” ~ ELP 2014 Participant
- on-campus leadership development workshops held on Tuesday evenings from 6-8 pm throughout the fall semester (exact dates TBD but will include some of the following dates: 9/27, 10/4, 10/18, 10/25, 11/1, 11/8, and 11/15)
- an off-campus retreat from Saturday, October 15 - Sunday, October 16; participants will depart campus at 8 am on Saturday morning and return to campus by 5 pm on Sunday afternoon.*
Attendance at both the sessions and the retreat are required or all ELP Participants.
During the workshops and retreat, you will have the opportunity to develop a vision for the Occidental College, or surrounding, community as well as a passion project that works toward your vision; past passion projects of ELP alumni include: Lead with Pride, MULTI, Adopt an Elder, etc. Additionally, ELP alumni have served as RAs, O-Team leaders, departmental Programming Assistants, as ASOC presidents and senators, student liaisons on Trustee Standing committees as well as many other campus leadership positions.
By participating in ELP, you will:
- Develop your understanding of leadership as well as your leadership style
- Meet other students with similar interests
- Become familiar with the how to get things done on campus (i.e., plan events, apply for funding, meet administrators, etc.)
- Learn about leadership opportunities at Oxy
- Build your personal and professional network
The ELP application deadline is Thursday, September 22nd at midnight (12 a.m.). By applying to participate in ELP, you are committing to attend both the ELP workshops (Tuesdays from 6 - 8 pm throughout the fall semester) AND the overnight retreat (10/17-18).*
*Students who apply to ELP then turn down their acceptance will be expected to cover the cost of their participation in the retreat, up to $100.
- Hours: Mon-Fri: 9a-5p
- On Campus: Johnson Student Center 102
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice: (323) 259-2918
- Facebook: OxyOSL