Science Scholars awards provide research and scholarship opportunities to Occidental's best students in the fields of Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Cognitive Science, Geology, Kinesiology, Physics and Psychology.
Congratulations to the 2016-17 Science Scholars
Julia Hamilton, working with Prof. Aleksandra Sherman (Cog Sci), Fletcher Jones Scholar
Catherine Conlon, working with Prof. Roberta Pollock (Biology), Norris Scholar
Chelsea Blankenchip, working with Prof. Shana Goffredi (Biology), Fletcher Jones Scholar
Natalie Dwulet, working with Prof. Jeff Cannon (Chemistry), Norris Scholar
Whi-Inh Shirley Bae, working with Prof. Andrew Udit (Chemistry), Fletcher Jones Scholar
For more info on the 2016-17 fellows click here.
These highly competitive awards provide a total of $15,000 in support through the Junior and Senior years. The Science Scholar program is supported by an endowment from the Fletcher Jones Foundation and a grant from the Kenneth T. and Eileen L. Norris Foundation.
Applicants should apply once for consideration by both programs. The review committees will determine which students will be considered for each award. The deadline for application for the next Science Scholar Fellowships is Monday, November 16, 2016 at 4:00 pm. Finalists will be interviewed and awardees announced early in the Spring 2016 semester. Application is open to students who are juniors and who will be participating in research projects in biochemistry, biology, chemistry, cognitive science, geology, kinesiology, physics or psychology with supervision from Occidental College faculty in these disciplines. Students planning to study away from campus during the grant period are not eligible.
We will select up to four Science Scholars this winter for research between Spring 2017 and Spring 2018.
Benefits for Science Scholars
The Science Scholars will receive:
- Spring Junior year: study grant of $2,000
- Summer after Junior year: study grant of $6,000
- Senior academic year: study grant of $4,000
- $3,000 Budget for research expenses and professional travel
The academic year study grant may affect Scholars' eligibility for loan and work-study programs.
Expectations of Scholars
The Scholars are expected to:
- participate in part-time research activity (ten hours per week) during the Junior Year Spring semester
- participate in full-time research activity for ten weeks during the Summer following Junior Year.
- and participate in part-time research activity (ten hours per week) during their Senior academic year
- prepare interim reports after Spring [junior], Summer [rising senior] and Fall [senior], and a final report for the Foundation in May of their senior year.
The research activities are expected to take place under the supervision of a faculty member at Occidental College.
Because of the highly competitive nature of these Fellowships, a rigorous selection process will be employed. Interested candidates should discuss the application with their research mentor or the program coordinator. Applications should be submitted to the URC, Library, (Second floor, Old Wing, Room 253) no later than 4 p.m. on Wednesday, November 16, 2016. Finalist candidates will be interviewed by the Program committee. Decisions will be announced early in the Spring Semester.
The elements of an application for these programs are:
- Application cover sheet
- A 250-word abstract of the research proposal (on a separate page).
- Scientific proposal, limited to five pages, prepared by the applicant, which includes each of these elements:
- A brief survey of the background of the problem, its importance, known results, and directions for future research.
- A statement of the specific question(s) to be investigated, and the proposed methodology.
- A discussion of the applicant's earlier research work in this field and, in particular, any results obtained in the proposed area.
- A brief appendix consisting of diagrams, references and similar information may be included. The appendix will not count toward the page limitation.
- Personal information, limited to three pages, including:
- One-page resume
- Two-page personal statement describing the nature of the applicant's interest in scientific work, career goals in science-related fields and professional aspirations.
- Include a list of previous honors, awards, presentations and publications and other achievements in the resume or personal statement.
- A detailed materials budget
- A letter of support from the proposed research mentor. (Letters should be submitted separately from the application and will be considered confidential)
- A copy of your current (Fall 2016 and Spring 2017) class schedules
- Grade reports (unofficial reports are acceptable) of academic work completed at other colleges and universities. Occidental transcripts will be obtained by the URC.
Please use 1.5 spaced text, one inch margins and at least 11 point font, and print single sided.
Paperclip application, do not staple.
The applications will be reviewed by a committee consisting of the Chairs of the specified science departments. Applications will be judged on the basis of the quality of the scientific proposal and prospects for successful progress, the strength of support from the proposed research mentor; and the student's potential for leadership in science.
2016-17 Program Committee:
Dr. Chris Craney
Professor of Chemistry
Chair, Biochemistry Department, Occidental College
Dr. Brian Kim
Professor of Psychology
Chair, Psychology Department, Occidental College
Dr. Lynn Mehl
Professor of Kinesiology
Chair, Kinesiology Department, Occidental College
Dr. Daniel Pondella
Professor of Biology
Chair, Biology Department, Occidental College
Dr. Margi Rusmore
Professor of Geology
Chair, Geology Department, Occidental College
Dr. Janet Scheel
Professor of Physics
Chair, Physics Department, Occidental College
Dr. Andrew Shtulman
Professor of Psychology
Chair, Cognitive Science Department, Occidental College
Professor of Geology, Occidental College
- Phone: (323) 259-1414
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location :
Library, 2nd floor, Old Wing, Room 253A
- Like us on: Facebook