Science Scholars awards provide research and scholarship opportunities to Occidental's best students in the fields of Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Geology, Neuroscience and Physics.
These highly competitive awards provide a total of $15,000 in support through the Junior and Senior years. The Science Scholar program is supported by an endowment from the Fletcher Jones Foundation and a grant from the Kenneth T. and Eileen L. Norris Foundation.
Applicants should apply once for both programs. The review committees will determine which students will be considered for each award. The deadline for application for the next Science Scholar Fellowships is November 9, 2012. Finalists will be interviewed and awardees announced early in Spring semester. Application is open to students who are juniors and who will be participating in research projects in biochemistry, biology, chemistry, environmental science, geology, neuroscience or physics with supervision from Occidental College faculty in these disciplines. Students planning to study away from campus during the grant period are not eligible.
We will select one to three Science Scholars this winter for research between Spring 2013 and Spring 2014.
Benefits for Science Scholars
The Science Scholars will receive:
- Spring 2013 stipend of $2,000
- Summer 2013 stipend of $6,000
- Academic year 2013-2014 stipend of $4,000
- Budget for research expenses and professional travel
The academic year stipends may affect Scholars' eligibility for loan and work-study programs. The summer stipend is considered to be employment and is subject to applicable taxes.
Expectations of Scholars
The Scholars are expected to:
- participate in part-time research activity (ten hours per week) during the Spring 2013 semester
- participate in full-time research activity for ten weeks during the Summer of 2013
- and participate in part-time research activity (ten hours per week) during the 2013-2014 academic year
- prepare interim reports after Spring 2013, Summer 2013 and Fall 2013 and a final report for the Foundation in May 2014.
The research activities are expected to take place under the supervision of a faculty member at Occidental College.
Because of the highly competitive nature of these Fellowships, a rigorous selection process will be employed. Interested candidates should discuss the application with their research mentor or the program coordinator. Applications should be submitted to the URC, Bell Young Trailer C, no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 9, 2012. Finalist candidates will be interviewed. It is anticipated that decisions will be announced early in the Spring Semester.
The elements of an application for these programs are:
- Application cover sheet
- Scientific proposal, limited to five pages including the abstract, prepared by the applicant, which includes each of these elements:
- A 250-word abstract of the research proposal (on a separate page).
- A brief survey of the background of the problem, its importance, known results, and directions for future research.
- A statement of the specific question(s) to be investigated, and the proposed methodology.
- A discussion of the applicant's earlier research work in this field and, in particular, any results obtained in the proposed area.
- A brief appendix consisting of diagrams, references and similar information may be included. The appendix will not count toward the page limitation.
- Personal information, limited to three pages, including:
- One-page resume
- Two-page personal statement describing the nature of the applicant's interest in scientific work, career goals in science-related fields and professional aspirations.
- Include a list of previous honors, awards, presentations and publications and other achievements in the resume or personal statement.
- A detailed materials budget.
- A letter of support from the proposed research mentor. (Letters should be submitted separately from the application and will be considered confidential, provided the student waives his or her right to access.)
- Grade reports (unofficial reports are acceptable) of academic work completed at other colleges and universities. Occidental transcripts will be obtained by the URC.
Please use double spaced text, one inch margins and at least 11 point font and print single sided.
The applications will be reviewed by a committee consisting of the Chairs of the specified science departments and a research scientist from outside the college. Applications will be judged on the basis of the quality of the scientific proposal and prospects for successful progress, the strength of support from the proposed research mentor; and the student's potential for leadership in science..
Dr. Chris Craney
Professor of Chemistry
Chair, Biochemistry Department, Occidental College
Dr. Dan Pondella
Professor of Biology
Chair, Biology Department, Occidental College
Dr. Aram Nersissian
Professor of Chemistry
Chair, Chemistry Department, Occidental College
Dr. Jim Sadd
Professor of Geology
Chair, Geology Department, Occidental College
Dr. George Schmiedeshoff
Professor of Physics
Chair, Physics Department, Occidental College
Dr. Anne Schell
Professor of Psychology
Chair, Psychology Department, Occidental College
Dr. Scott Bogue
- Phone: (323) 259-1414
- Email: email@example.com
- Location :
South Trailer C
- Like us on: Facebook