Summer Affordable Housing and Community Development Internship
Are you interested in issues of affordable housing, homelessness, community development, and improvement of conditions in low-income neighborhoods? If so, consider applying for Oxy's paid summer internship program in affordable housing and community development.
We will accept applications beginning February 1, 2014. Application deadline is February 28, 2014.
2014 Summer Affordable Housing and Community Development Internship
The college has funding for several internships. The students selected for this internship will be paid a $3,900 stipend, will be provided with room and board on campus (based on income, but with a maximum payment of $120 per week for the summer), and will work full-time for a community-based non-profit organization in Los Angeles working on affordable housing issues. Additional funds for travel expenses may also be available.
Interns will learn about housing policy and housing development issues. They will work full-time (35 hours per week) for 10 weeks, from May 27 to August 2, 2014. The organizations will include those listed below as well as several others:
- Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment (www.calorganize.org)
- East Los Angeles Community Corporation (www.elacc.org)
- LA Community Action Network (cangress.org)
- LA Voice (www.lavoicepico.org)
- LINC Housing Corporation (www.linchousing.org)
- Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy (www.laane.org)
- Los Angeles Neighborhood Housing Services (www.lanhs.org)
- Southern California Association of Non-Profit Housing (www.scanph.org)
The interns will work with professional staff on a variety of projects dealing with housing development, housing policy, and/or housing advocacy. The student will also participate in events sponsored by the Occidental College Undergraduate Research Center's summer research program. The student will be required to keep a journal, meet with a faculty member during the summer to discuss the internship, and write a final paper dealing with some aspect of the internship and the topic of affordable housing.
Occidental frosh, sophomores, and juniors are eligible to apply. There is no formal application form. To apply, you should provide the following:
1. Your name, major, class (i.e. frosh, sophomore, junior), GPA, and the name of a faculty member who can serve as a reference.
2. A one-page statement explaining why you are interested in this internship
3. A copy of your resume
Please send the application to Sylvia Chico at the Urban & Environmental Policy Institute. You can bring it to UEPI and put it on Sylvia's desk, or email it to her (in MS Word) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about the internship, please contact Professor Peter Dreier at email@example.com or (323) 259-2913.
The deadline for applications is February 28, 2014.
This is part of the Oxy Summer Research Program.
- Office: 1882 Campus Rd.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (323) 259-2991
- Mailing Address: Occidental College, UEPI (MS-M1), 1600 Campus Road, Los Angeles, CA 90041