Summer Affordable Housing and Community Development Internship
Oxy students: Are you interested in issues of affordable housing, homelessness, community development, and improvement of conditions in low-income neighborhoods? If so, consider applying for Oxy's paid summer internship program in affordable housing and community development.
2014 Summer interns (pictured):
Jennifer Back | Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment
Reilly Brown | Coalition for Economic Survival
Amelia Buchanan | LA Neighborhood Housing Services
Evan Chan | Esperanza Community Housing Corporation
Katherine Kepler | LA Community Action Network
Cory Lomberg | Southern California Association of Non-Profit Housing
Danielle Raskin | Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy
Kailee Stovall | LA Voice
We will accept applications for Summer 2016 from February 1 thru 29, 2016.
2016 Summer Affordable Housing and Community Development Internship
The college has funding for several internships. The Occidental students selected for this internship will be paid a $3,900 study grant, will be provided with room and board on campus (based on income, but with a maximum payment of $120 per week for the summer), and will work full-time for a community-based non-profit organization in Los Angeles working on affordable housing issues. Additional funds for travel expenses may also be available.
Interns will learn about housing policy and housing development issues. They will work full-time (35 hours per week) for 10 weeks, from May 26 to August 1, 2015. The organizations will include those listed below as well as several others:
- Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment (www.calorganize.org)
- Coalition for Economic Survival (www.cesinaction.org)
- East Los Angeles Community Corporation (www.elacc.org)
- LA Community Action Network (cangress.org)
- LA Voice (www.lavoicepico.org)
- LINC Housing Corporation (www.linchousing.org)
- Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy (www.laane.org)
- Los Angeles Neighborhood Housing Services (www.lanhs.org)
- National Day Laborer Organizing Network/Pasadena Community Job Center (www.ndlon.org and www.pasadenajobcenter.com)
- Southern California Association of Non-Profit Housing (www.scanph.org)
The interns will work with professional staff on a variety of projects dealing with housing development, housing policy, and/or housing advocacy. The student will be required to keep a journal, meet with a faculty member during the summer to discuss the internship, and write a final paper dealing with some aspect of the internship and the topic of affordable housing.
Occidental frosh, sophomores, and juniors are eligible to apply. There is no formal application form. To apply, you should provide the following:
1. Your name, Oxy ID#, major, class (i.e. frosh, sophomore, junior), GPA, and the name of a faculty member who can serve as a reference.
2. A one-page statement explaining why you are interested in this internship
3. A copy of your resume
Please send the application to Sylvia Chico at the Urban & Environmental Policy Institute. You can bring it to UEPI and put it on Sylvia's desk, or email it to her (in MS Word) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about the internship, please contact Professor Peter Dreier at email@example.com or (323) 259-2913.
Applications will be accepted from February 1, 2016 to February 29, 2016 (5:00pm PST).
This is part of the Oxy Summer Research Program.
1882 Campus Rd.
- Mailing Address:
Occidental College, UEPI (MS-M1), 1600 Campus Road, Los Angeles, CA 90041