Letter of faculty mentor's support
Student proposals for all URC-sponsored programs require a letter of support from a faculty mentor. This letter should include an evaluation of the student and his/her ability to carry out the planned project in the time allotted, an assessment of the project's importance within the field, and a description of the mentor's role in the project. Summer Research Program mentors, in particular, are expected to be available to the Fellow on a continuing basis -- to meet regularly with the student(s), and to provide support and guidance in carrying out the research project and preparing a final report, poster, or other culminating project.
Faculty Recommendation Forms can be downloaded here:
- Academic Year Funding for Conference Travel and ASP Research Travel
- ASP Faculty Recommendation form
- Science Scholars
- Summer Funding
- Included as part of the form (see Section 7 on the Academic Year Form, or Section 10 on the Summer Form), or
- Attached separately (mentors should write "see attached" on the form to indicate that the letter is being sent separately)
- Submitted to the URC along with the student's application, or
- Confidentially mailed in hard copy form to the URC office (Campus Mail Stop F24), or
- Sent via email from the faculty member to email@example.com
Faculty letters sent directly to the URC will not be shared with the student. If a recommendation letter is given directly to the student, the URC cannot promise to maintain confidentiality.