The career development journey begins and ends with you!
The student-centered culture at Oxy aligns with the career advising approach at the Hameetman Career Center (HCC). Students benefit from individual and small group career advising, and our experienced professionals help students explore and evaluate their varied career interests. We encourage you to meet with a career adviser—we want to know each student and we want each student to know us.
To schedule an appointment with a Career Adviser - go to the “Career Center” tab in Handshake
Students are ultimately responsible for their career development, and there is no better time than the present to get started. We are especially adept at helping students take the early steps required to lay a solid foundation in career-readiness.
- Engage early and get to know the HCC staff and available resources
- Attend HCC events during new student orientation and throughout the fall and spring semesters
- Complete HCC100: Ascend, our career development seminar for first-year students
- Meet with a career adviser to assess your interests
- Learn more about yourself through your classes, student organizations, internships and other opportunities that interest you
- Meet with the director of National & International Fellowships and the directors of Pre-Health and Pre-Law Advising to explore opportunities
- Meet with International Programs staff to explore study abroad opportunities
- Complete HCC 200: Career Quest, our career development seminar for sophomores and juniors
- Attend career education workshops to help you prepare for internship and job interviews
- Attend employer recruiting events, alumni speaker events, career education training, and other career events to learn about a broad range of career and employment opportunities
- Discover the best path for you and further explore through focused activities and opportunities that align with your interests
- Apply for internships, undergraduate research positions and other experiential learning opportunities
- Seek guidance and advice from career advisers, faculty, mentors, seniors, alumni, family and others throughout your journey
- Evaluate what you have learned about yourself and your career experiences and aspirations
- Complete HCC 300: Ready to Launch, our career development seminar for seniors
- Begin your job or graduate school search