The career development journey begins and ends with you
Students are ultimately responsible for their career development, and there is no better time than the present to get started. We are especially adept at helping students take the early steps required to lay a solid foundation in career-readiness.
The student-centered culture at Oxy aligns with the career advising approach at the Hameetman Career Center (HCC). Students benefit from individual and small group career advising, and our experienced professionals help students explore and evaluate their varied career interests. We encourage you to meet with a career adviser—we want to know each student and we want each student to know us
Engage early and often
- 90% of the class of 2023 engaged with the HCC during their first year at Oxy by attending a career advising appointment, career education seminar or employer event
- Start by completing a series of Career Education Seminars, including HCC 101: Introduction to Career Services and HCC 102: Introduction to Career Exploration
- Attend HCC events during new student orientation and throughout the fall and spring semesters
Explore your options
- Learn more about yourself through your classes, student organizations, internships and other opportunities that interest you
- Meet with the director of National & International Fellowships and the directors of Pre-Health and Pre-Law Advising to explore opportunities
- Meet with International Programs staff to explore study abroad opportunities
- If you are interested in pursuing an internship, complete HCC 200: Job & Internship Search Bootcamp to learn key strategies and resources for conducting an effective search
- Apply for undergraduate research positions and other experiential learning opportunities
- Access your Handshake account to view the schedule of employer recruiting events, alumni speaker events, career education training, and other career events to learn about a broad range of career and employment opportunities
- Use Big Interview, Vault, and other HCC resources to prepare for your interviews
For more information schedule an in-person or virtual appointment with a Career Adviser or come to the HCC during walk-in hours.