Summer Donor-Funded Internships
InternLA is a unique, donor-sponsored internship program, that funds over 35 selected students to intern in LA-based organizations and companies during the summer.
The Hameetman Career Center (HCC) is proud to continue its InternLA summer internship program that supports Oxy students to intern in LA-based organizations in six broad sectors: Business & Entrepreneurship, Law & Policy, Media & Entertainment, Science & Research, Social Services & Advocacy, and Visual & Performing Arts.
The program is aimed to recruit talented Oxy students who wish to enhance their knowledge on a career trajectory . Participating sites will host an InternLA student for a ten week assignment commencing the beginning of June 2016 and ending around August 5, 2016. InternLA participants will work on a full-time basis with 2 hours reserved for an on-campus weekly educational component called IMPACT.
- Must be a current Occidental College student
- Open to sophomores and juniors from all majors, unless otherwise specified. Current seniors are not eligible to apply unless returning as a student for the fall 2016 semester
- Good academic and conduct record
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.5; some organizations may have a higher GPA requirement
- Attend one of the Application Prepartion Workshops (see dates below)
InternLA participants will:
- be available to participate in pre-site training on Tuesday, May 31st
- enroll in the INT100 internship course
- perform professional tasks on projects key to the organizations’ needs
- receive professional mentorship from their onsite supervisors
- engage in an on-campus learning “course”, IMPACT, on a weekly basis for 2 hours with limited assignments
- partake in a Leadership Development programs: ILA Professional Roundtables and IMPACT on the Road
- complete an end of assignment survey & reflective essay
- highlight summer experience at culminating event, the Reverse Career Fair, held in early September 2016
InternLA students will be awarded a maximum of $4000⃰ for their 10-week participation in the program. Awards will be distributed on a bi-weekly basis and last payment will NOT be released until all program components are met. Note: some sites have additional costs like parking; the program does NOT offer additional funds for costs associated with internship participation (i.e., gas, mileage, room and board).
*$4000 is the HCC's maximum award. There may be organizations who offer a higher compensation rate and may pay the intern directly.
SELECTION AND APPLICATION PROCESS
All applications must be submitted by 5pm (PST) on Friday, February 26th. Incomplete and/or late submissions will NOT be accepted. No exceptions. Remember that you must attend at least one application preparation workshop in order to apply to either program. If you previously attended a workshop, you do NOT have to attend one this year. Contact the HCC to verify previous attendance.
Completed application includes:
- Cover letter and current resume via TIGERlink (can apply to two postings only listed under InternLA)
- InternLA Staff/Faculty Recommendation Form (applicant is responsible for timely return of document to the HCC)
Documents will be forwarded to the on-site supervisor. On-site supervisors have a deadline of Friday, April 1st to notify the selected applicant. Selected student will have until Wednesday, April 6th to accept or decline internship offer.
The following is an application/program timeline for Summer 2016:
Tuesday, February 2nd--Information Session @ 12:00pm (Johnson 203)
Wednesday, February 3rd--Information Session @ 12:45pm (Johnson 200)
Tuesday, February 9th--Information Session @ 4:30pm (Fowler 202)
Tuesday, February 16th-Friday, February 19th--Application Preparation Workshops (mandatory)
These workshops will offered at least once daily for the entire week
Monday, February 22nd--All-day Drop-In Hours for InternLA final document review in the HCC (AGC)
Friday, February 26th--Application deadline; all required documents must be submitted via TIGERlink by 5pm (PST). NO EXCEPTIONS
March 1st-March 31st--Sites evaluate applicants and undergo selection process
April 1st--Deadline for sites to inform selected candidate
April 6th--Deadline for selected candidate to accept/decline offer
April 29th--Deadline for selected interns to submit InternLA agreement & INT enrollment forms
May 31st--Pre-site training on Occidental Campus
June 1st--Start internship assignment on-site
As part of InternLA, the HCC will offer a highly competitive opportunity; two students will be awarded the Richard C. Cornuelle Fellowship, in honor of Oxy alum, Richard Cornuelle ’48. Selected fellows will be placed at Community Partners (see TIGERlink for description).
Along with the criteria listed above, Cornuelle Fellows applicants will:
- be required to include a personal statement of interest (see prompt on-line)
- recommendation form MUST be completed by a current Oxy faculty member
- partake in a pre-selection process. Applicants will be required to go through an on-campus interview with a panel comprised of members of the Occidental community and Community Partners. Only selected students will move forward to a second-round interview at Community Partners
Cornuelle fellows will also:
- enroll INT 200 course (tuition costs covered by award)
- have required readings and meetings with assigned faculty advisor
- submit an end of program academic paper (TBD by faculty advisor)
- be awarded $4000 and can be provided with additional funds to cover costs for travel and supplies related to the opportunity. Fellows are also eligble for needs-based subsidized room and board available during the program dates only. If the fellow chooses to live off-campus, subsidies for room and board cannot be provided.
For summer 2016 InternLA applicants are invited to apply to TWO of the following participating sites:
For the InternLA handout and policies, click here
- Phone: (323) 259-2623
- Fax: (323) 341-4900
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hameetman Career Center
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, CA 90041
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
Resume/Cover Letter/Other Guides
Majors in Motion: Infographics
@OxyCareers OxyCareers Facebook