Summer Donor-Funded Internships
InternLA & InternPDX are unique, donor-sponsored internship programs, that fund over 35 selected students to intern in LA and Portland-based organizations and companies during the summer.
The Career Development Center (CDC) is proud to continue its InternLA and InternPDX, summer internship programs that support Oxy students to intern in LA and Portland-based organizations in six broad sectors: Business & Entrepreneurship, Law & Policy, Media & Entertainment, Science & Research, Social Services & Advocacy, and Visual & Performing Arts.
The programs are aimed to recruit talented Oxy students who wish to enhance their knowledge on a career trajectory . Participating sites will host an InternLA or InternPDX student for a ten week assignment commencing the beginning of June 2015 and ending around August 7, 2015. InternLA participants will work on a full-time basis with 2 hours reserved for an on-campus weekly educational component called IMPACT. InternPDX participants will work varying schedules depending on the needs of the participating organizations and have limited assignments throughout the summer.
- Must be a current Occidental College student
- Open to sophomores and juniors from all majors, unless otherwise specified. Current seniors are not eligible to apply unless returning as a student for the fall 2015 semester
- Good academic and conduct record
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.5; some organizations may have a higher GPA requirement
- Attend one of the Application Prepartion Workshops (see dates below)
InternLA participants will:
- be available to participate in pre-site training on Friday, May 29th
- enroll in the INT100 internship course
- perform professional tasks on projects key to the organizations’ needs
- receive professional mentorship from their onsite supervisors
- engage in an on-campus learning “course”, IMPACT, on a weekly basis for 2 hours with limited assignments
- partake in a Leadership Development Day programs
- complete an end of assignment survey & reflective essay
- highlight summer experience at culminating event, the Reverse Career Fair, held in early September 2015
See InternPDX handout for program requirements
InternLA/PDX students will be awarded a maximum of $3900⃰ for their 10-week participation in the program. Awards will be distributed on a bi-weekly basis and last payment will NOT be released until all program components are met. Note: some sites have additional costs like parking; the program does NOT offer additional funds for costs associated with internship participation (i.e., gas, mileage, room and board).
*$3900 is the maximum award. There may be organizations who offer a higher compensation rate and may pay the intern directly.
SELECTION AND APPLICATION PROCESS
All applications must be submitted by 5pm (PST) on Friday, February 27th. Incomplete and/or late submissions will NOT be accepted. No exceptions. Remember that you must attend at least one application preparation workshop in order to apply to either program. If you previously attended a workshop, you do not have to attend one this year. Contact the CDC to verify previous attendance.
Completed applications includes:
- Cover letter and current resume via TIGERlink (can apply to two postings only listed under InternLA)
- InternLA Staff/Faculty Recommendation Form (applicant is responsible for timely return of document to the CDC)
Documents will be forwarded to the on-site supervisor. On-site supervisors have a deadline of Wednesday, April 1st to notify the selected applicant. Selected student will have until Wednesday, April 8th to accept or decline internship offer.
The following is an application/program timeline for Summer 2015:
Wednesday, February 4th--Information Session @ 12:45pm (Fowler 302)
Thursday, February 5th--Information Session @ 12:00pm (Fowler 302)
Tuesday, February 10th--Information Session @ 4:30pm (Fowler 302)
Wednesday, February 11th--Information Session @ 5:30pm (Fowler 302)
Tuesday, February 17th-Friday, February 20th--Application Preparation Workshops (mandatory)
These workshops will offered at least once daily for the entire week
Monday, February 23rd--All-day CDC Drop-In Hours for InternLA/PDX final document review in Career Corner (JSC134)
Friday, February 27th--Application deadline; all required documents must be submitted via TIGERlink by 5pm (PST). NO EXCEPTIONS
March 3rd-March 31st--Sites evaluate applicants and undergo selection process
April 1st--Deadline for sites to inform selected candidate
April 8th--Deadline for selected candidate to accept/decline offer
May 1st--Deadline for selected interns to submit InternLA agreement & INT enrollment forms
May 29th--Pre-site training on Occidental Campus
June 1st--Start internship assignment on-site
As part of InternLA, the CDC will offer a highly competitive opportunity; two students will be awarded the Richard C. Cornuelle Fellowship, in honor of Oxy alum, Richard Cornuelle ’48. Selected fellows will be placed at Community Partners (see TIGERlink for description).
Along with the criteria listed above, Cornuelle Fellows applicants will:
- be required to include a personal statement of interest (see prompt on-line)
- partake in a pre-selection process. Applicants will be required to go through an on-campus interview with a panel comprised of members of the Occidental community and Community Partners. Only selected students will move forward to a second-round interview at Community Partners
Cornuelle fellows will also:
- enroll INT 200 course (tuition costs covered by award)
- have required readings and meetings with assigned faculty advisor
- submit an end of program academic paper (TBD by faculty advisor)
- be awarded $3900 and can be provided with additional funds to cover costs for travel and supplies related to the opportunity. Fellows are also eligble for needs-based subsidized room and board available during the program dates only. If the fellow chooses to live off-campus, subsidies for room and board cannot be provided.
For summer 2015 InternLA applicants are invited to apply to TWO of the following participating sites:
For the InternLA handout and policies, click here
- Cogan Owens Greene
- Community Warehouse
- Oregon Department of Human Services-Child Welfare Division
- Sustainable Harvest
- Phone: (323) 259-2623
- Fax: (323) 341-4900
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
South Trailer A
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, CA 90041 & The Career Corner JSC 134
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
Resume/Cover Letter/Other Guides
Majors in Motion: Infographics
@OxyCareers OxyCareers Facebook