Summer Donor-Funded Internships
InternLA & InternPDX are unique, donor-sponsored internship programs, that fund over 30 selected students to intern in LA and Portland-based organizations and companies during the summer.
For a second year, the Career Development Center (CDC) presents: InternLA and InternPDX, our summer internship programs that support Oxy students to intern in LA and Portland-based organizations in six broad sectors: Business & Entrepreneurship, Law & Policy, Media & Entertainment, Science & Research, Social Services & Advocacy, and Visual & Performing Arts.
The programs are aimed to recruit talented Oxy students who wish to enhance their knowledge on a career trajectory . Partnership sites will host an InternLA or InternPDX student for a ten week assignment commencing the beginning of June 2014 and ending around August 8, 2014. InternLA participants will work on a full-time basis with 2 hours reserved for an on-campus weekly educational component called IMPACT.
- Must be a current Occidental College student
- Open to sophomores and juniors from all majors, unless otherwise specified. Current seniors are not eligible to apply unless returning as a student for the fall 2014 semester
- Good academic and conduct record
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.5; some organizations may have a higher GPA requirement
- Attend one of the workshops aimed at document and interview preparation (see dates below)
InternLA participants will:
- be available to participate in pre-site training on Friday, May 30th
- enroll in the INT100 internship course
- perform professional tasks on projects key to the organizations’ needs
- receive professional mentorship from their onsite supervisors
- engage in an on-campus learning “course”, IMPACT, on Friday mornings for about 2 hours with limited assignments
- partake in a Leadership Development Day program that provides participants the opportunity to visit sites and present their summer projects to their peers
- complete an end of assignment survey & reflective essay
- highlight summer experience at culminating event, Reverse Career Fair, held in early September 2014
InternLA students will be compensated $3900⃰ for their 10-week participation in the program. Stipends will be distributed on a bi-weekly basis and last pay check will NOT be released until all program components are met. Note: some sites have additional costs like parking; the program does NOT offer additional funds for gas, mileage, room and board.
*$3900 is a base pay for the majority of interns. There will be organizations who offer slightly higher wages and those who will pay the intern directly and not via the College’s stipend method.
SELECTION AND APPLICATION PROCESS
All applications must be submitted by midnight (PST) on Sunday, March 9th. Incomplete and/or late submissions will NOT be accepted. No exceptions. Remember that you must attend at least one preparation workshop in order to apply.
Completed applications includes:
- Cover letter and current resume via TIGERlink (can apply to two postings only listed under InternLA)
- Staff/Faculty Recommendation Form (Applicant is responsible for timely return of document to the CDC)
Documents will be forwarded to the on-site supervisor. On-site supervisors will contact applicant directly if they wish to schedule an interview. On-site supervisors have a deadline of Tuesday, April 1st to notify the selected applicant. Selected intern will have until Monday, April 7th to accept or decline internship offer.
The following is an application/program timeline for Summer 2014:
Thursday, February 6th--Information Session @ noon (Fowler 202)
Monday, February 10th--Information Session @ 3:00pm (Fowler 302)
Tuesday, February 11th--Information Session @ 4:30pm (Fowler 302)
Tuesday, February 18th--All-day Drop-In Hours for InternLA/PDX site/internship information
February 24th-28th--Daily Document Prep & Interviewing Skills Workshop (mandatory)
These workshops will offered once daily for the entire week
Monday, March 3rd--All-day CDC Drop-In Hours for InternLA/PDX final document review
Sunday, March 9th--Application deadline; all forms/documents must be submitted by midnight (PST). NO EXCEPTIONS
March 12th-March 28th--Sites evaluate applicants and set-up interviews
April 1st--Deadline for sites to inform selected candidate
April 7th--Deadline for selected candidate to accept/decline offer
May 2nd--Deadline for selected interns to submit InternLA agreement & INT enrollment forms
May 30th--Pre-site training on Occidental Campus
June 2nd--Start internship assignment on-site
As part of InternLA, the CDC will offer a highly competitive opportunity; two students will be awarded the Richard C. Cornuelle Fellowship, in honor of Oxy alum, Richard Cornuelle ’48. Selected fellows will be placed at Community Partners (see TIGERlink for description).
Along with the criteria listed above, Cornuelle Fellows applicants will:
- be required to include a personal statement of interest (see prompt on-line)
- partake in a pre-selection process. Applicants will be required to go through an on-campus interview with a panel comprised of members of the Occidental community and Community Partners. Only selected students will move forward to a second-round interview at Community Partners
Cornuelle fellows will also:
- enroll INT 200 course (tuition costs covered by grant)
- have required readings and meetings with assigned faculty advisor
- submit an end of program academic paper (TBD by faculty advisor)
- be awarded a $3900 stipend and subsidized room and board available during the program dates only. If the fellow chooses to live off-campus, subsidies for room and board cannot be provided.
For summer 2014 InternLA applicants are invited to apply to TWO of the following partner sites:
For the InternLA handout, click here
- Cogan Owens & Cogan
- Community Warehouse
- Oregon Department of Human Services-Child Welfare Division
- Strategies 360
- Sustainable Harvest
- Phone: (323) 259-2623
- Fax: (323) 341-4900
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: AGC 109
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, CA 90041 & The Career Corner JSC 134
<---TIGERlink Log-in for Jobs, Internships, Appointments
Job Search Guides