Posting and Publicity
Students are responsible for knowing the following:
Posters, banners, flyers, and other promotional, electronic, advertising or educational materials must be posted in accordance with the following guidelines. Failure to meet these guidelines will result in the removal of the publicity. Continued failure to meet these guidelines may result in limited publicity privileges.
An event must be registered with Master Calendar before public posting of the event may occur. Postings in the Quad, Samuelson Pavilion, Johnson Student Center, and Rose Hills Plaza must be approved through the Office of Student Life (OSL). Postings in residence halls must be approved through the Office of Residential Education and Housing Services. The administrative or academic department must approve postings in all other Administrative or Academic Buildings who have authority within that facility. Approval of publicity is not reflective of an endorsement of the event or message by the College.
The following policies refer to posting banners, posters, and flyers anywhere on campus, including electronic media. Questions about these policies should be directed to the Office of Student Life.
- All promotional materials must clearly identify the sponsoring entity;
- Posting is prohibited until the event is approved (if applicable);
- With the exception of alcohol education programs, materials may not promote alcohol as the focus of the event;
- Banners and posters may not be affixed on windows (including windows on exterior doors), campus street signs, trees, or the ground;
- Only the use of painter's tape (i.e., non-damaging) to adhere materials to surface is permitted. Any individual/group publicizing on campus will be held responsible for damages caused by improper posting;
- Banners and flyers may be displayed for a period up to two weeks prior to an event and must be removed within 48 hours after the conclusion of the event;
- Banners affixed on the black chain link fence in the JSC Quad may not exceed 3'x6' in size.
- Chalking is limited to the quad between Samuelson Pavilion and JSC. OSL, in consultation with Campus Safety and Facilities, may approve other locations.
- Chalk must be designated as appropriate for use on sidewalks. It may be borrowed from the Student Activities Center. Blue chalk in any form is not permitted.
- Chalk is not permitted on vertical surfaces (e.g., no walls or buildings) or any other sidewalk areas, or areas not specified above.
- Chalk is removed each Tuesday morning.
Initially, students must bring one copy of the material to Residential Education and Housing Services to be reviewed and stamped. Next, 15 copies of the flyer/poster may be delivered to the office. (For poster sizes 11 x 17 inches or larger, please submit 20 for posting.) Residents or visitors may not post materials in the residence halls themselves. Office of Residential Education and Housing Services staff members post materials twice a week. Any posted materials that do not follow this policy will be removed.
Materials to be posted elsewhere on campus require approval by OSL in the Johnson Student Center.
For additional information, please refer to the Residential Education and Housing Services Promotion and Advertising Guidelines in the Student Handbook.
Distribution and Posting in Campus Dining Facilities
Please see Campus Dining Policies.
Distribution of Printed Material on Campus
- Distribution of handbills or commercial publicity by or for off-campus parties is prohibited without prior approval from OSL.
- Planners of student- or campus-sponsored events may distribute handbills in the Quad area only.
- Persons distributing the materials may not impede access to any building.
- Individuals may not be forced, coerced or otherwise pressured to accept materials.
Last updated June 12, 2012
- Phone: (323) 259-2969