The Office of Community Engagement (OCE) provides students with opportunities to enact Occidental’s values through community-based service and learning collaborations with organizations in Los Angeles and beyond. We work with all members of the Occidental community in challenging students to connect their on campus learning experiences with meaningful and reciprocal off campus experiences on issues of social concern. In doing so, the OCE seeks to support students’ development as responsible members of communities and endeavors to achieve a more just, livable, and democratic society, a strong commitment to diversity, and a commitment to enacting a life devoted to public good and social justice.
Saturday, January 24, 2015: MLK Day of Service
- Check-in begins at 8:30 am in Samuelson Pavilion AKA the Cooler. The opening ceremony begins at 9:00 am in Thorne Hall and buses and vans will leave promptly at 9:30 am. As you can see, we have a very tight schedule so please BE ON TIME!
- You will sign up for sites during registration. Sign up is first come first served. You will receive another email with sites and descriptions shortly. These will also be available at registration.
- Once you arrive, register for a site, pick up your official MLK t-shirt, grab some breakfast and lunch and finally, connect with your Site Leaders.
- Many of the projects will take place outdoors. Please dress appropriately. No flip flops or open toed shoes! Wear comfortable clothes you don't mind getting dirty and bring a hat if you need to. We suggest layers and long pants.
- Make sure to wear or bring sunblock.
- Bring your own water bottle/container. Although breakfast and lunch will be provided, you need to make sure you are hydrated throughout the day.
- We encourage the use of social media! Follow us on Instagram or twitter at @oxyoce. Tag us in your photos and use the hashtag #OXYMLK2015.
- Above all, bring your positive attitude! On Saturday you'll be honoring the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and representing the college. We know you'll have fun doing both.
- Office: Johnson Student Activities Center Room 135B
- Email: communityengagement @oxy.edu
- Phone: (323) 341-4692
- Follow us on : twitter