MLK Week of Service
The MLK Week of Service has become a hallmark event coordinated by the Office of Community Engagement, attracting nearly 200-300 participants. In honor of Dr. King’s spirit of service and peace, the aim of the the MLK Day of Service is to engage Oxy students, staff, faculty, and alumni in community-based projects.
Many of the community partners we work with have well-established relationships with the OCE or other offices (such as the UEPI and the CCBL), and we strive to sustain these relationships by creating mutually beneficial projects and educational opportunities for our students. Most community partners speak very highly of Oxy students and they are appreciative of the service project collaborations. Similarly, students are provided with the opportunity to become familiar with important community-based work and some even decide to return as volunteers or interns. By coordinating projects that offer meaningful co-curricular learning, the MLK Day of service upholds Oxy’s mission of excellence, equity, community, and service.
Saturday, January 24, 2015: MLK Day of Service
Downtown Women's Center
The Rock Community Center
Rockdale Elementary School
Girls on the Run
A Place Called Home
Door of Hope
California Coastal Commission
John Muir H.S. / Chicken Petition Project
The Eagle Rock Association (CERB)
Eagle Rock High School
- Check-in begins at 8:30 am in Samuelson Pavilion AKA the Cooler. The opening ceremony begins at 9:00 am in Thorne Hall and buses and vans will leave promptly at 9:30 am. As you can see, we have a very tight schedule so please BE ON TIME!
- You will sign up for sites during registration. Sign up is first come first served. You will receive another email with sites and descriptions shortly. These will also be available at registration.
- Once you arrive, register for a site, pick up your official MLK t-shirt, grab some breakfast and lunch and finally, connect with your Site Leaders.
- Many of the projects will take place outdoors. Please dress appropriately. No flip flops or open toed shoes! Wear comfortable clothes you don't mind getting dirty and bring a hat if you need to. We suggest layers and long pants.
- Make sure to wear or bring sunblock.
- Bring your own water bottle/container. Although breakfast and lunch will be provided, you need to make sure you are hydrated throughout the day.
- We encourage the use of social media! Follow us on Instagram or twitter at @oxyoce. Tag us in your photos and use the hashtag #MLKOXY2015.
- Above all, bring your positive attitude! On Saturday you'll be honoring the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and representing the college. We know you'll have fun doing both.
- Office: Johnson Student Activities Center Room 135B
- Email: communityengagement @oxy.edu
- Phone: (323) 341-4692
- Follow us on : twitter