Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from discrimination based on sex in education programs and activities that receive federal financial assistance.
Occidental College's Title IX Coordinator oversees the College’s centralized review, investigation, and resolution of reports of sexual harassment, sexual violence and intimate partner violence. The Coordinator also oversees the College’s overall compliance with Title IX.
The Title IX Coordinator is:
- Responsible for oversight of the investigation and resolution of all reports of sexual harassment, sexual violence and intimate partner violence involving students, staff, administrators, faculty, vendors, and visitors;
- Assisted by designated Deputy Title IX Coordinators in athletics, student affairs, human resources, and the faculty, and by a Title IX team as detailed in this policy. These Deputy Title IX Coordinators have a shared responsibility for supporting the Title IX Coordinator and are accessible to any member of the community for consultation and guidance;
- Knowledgeable and trained in College policies and procedures and relevant state and federal laws;
- Available to advise any individual, including a Complainant, a Respondent or a third party, about the courses of action available at the College, both informally and formally, and in the community;
- Available to provide assistance to any College employee regarding how to respond appropriately to a report of sexual harassment, sexual violence, stalking or intimate partner violence;
- Responsible for monitoring full compliance with all procedural requirements and time frames outlined in this policy; and
- Responsible for training, prevention and education efforts and periodic reviews of climate and culture.
The Title IX Coordinator is supported by the Title IX team. Members of this interdepartmental team include the Title IX Coordinator, Title IX Deputy Coordinators, and the Chief of Campus Safety. In addition, based on the role of the Complainant and the Respondent, the members of the team could include the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College and a representative from the Dean of Students Office and/or Human Resources. Composition of the team will be limited to a small circle of individuals who “need to know” in order to implement procedures under this policy.
Inquiries or Complaints
Inquiries or complaints concerning the application of Title IX may be referred to the College’s Title IX Coordinator, Deputy Title IX Coordinators and/or to the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights:
Interim Title IX Coordinator
Title IX Deputy Coordinators
- Richard Ledwin, human resources: (323) 259-2526, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Position open
Department of Education
Office for Civil Rights
Beale Street, Suite 7200
San Francisco, CA
- Interim Title IX Coordinator Lauren Carella:
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator Richard Ledwin: