Campus Events Coordinated by Students
Students are responsible for knowing the following:
Students wanting to host events using campus resources must have contact with the Office of Student Life (OSL) to determine necessary procedures for event registration. An event must be registered and approved based on policies and procedures, which can be found at http://www.oxy.edu/student-life/student-organizations.
Events with Alcohol
Students who are interested in planning events where alcohol is present must abide by the policies and procedures noted in the Office of Student Life (OSL) website. Student planners will work closely with an OSL professional staff member who will guide them through this process.
The following is a list of the four types of events recognized by the College:
Type 0. All-Campus, no alcohol
Type I. 21+ Only Student Event where alcohol is served
Type III. All-Campus Student Event where alcohol is served (e.g., beer garden)
Type IV. Guest List Student Event (with 100 Person Limit) where alcohol is served
Common Policies for Type I, III, IV Events
The College recognizes three (3) categories of events where alcohol may be present. Some of the common policies that must be followed for Types I, III, and IV events are listed below.
- Alcohol must be consumed within the designated drinking area, which will be maintained by Campus Safety
- Only those who are 21 or over will be served by licensed bartenders. Attendees must have a government issued photo identification (driver's license, ID card, or passport). Occidental students must also present their Oxy ID.
- Attendees may not bring alcohol into the event.
- Alcoholic beverages may not be sold without the proper liquor license.
- Admission may not be charged or fundraising occur for an event where alcohol is served. This is considered "selling" alcohol and Occidental College does not possess a liquor license. In some cases, a liquor license may be obtained, with approval and guidance from Office of Student Life, Campus Dining, and Campus Safety.
- No alcohol will be served to anyone for ½ hour prior to the end of the event. Unused alcohol will be confiscated by Campus Safety.
- Attendees who are visibly intoxicated will not be served and may be asked to leave the event.
Last updated August 6, 2012
- Phone: (323) 259-2969