What is ASOC? ASOC is YOU.
Associated Students of Occidental College (ASOC) is for the students! Every student paying student fees is a member of the ASOC. ASOC is governed by the Senate and Honor Board. Additionally, ASOC offers student services, such as Student Activities Center, the La Encina yearbook, Bengal Bus, Oxy Design Service, Programming Board, Bike Share, the Occidental Weekly newspaper, CatAList tv, and KOXY radio station.
ASOC Constitution Proposal - 2016
ASOC is finalizing a new constituion to better serve the student body. Below is a brief timeline:
April 2015: Honor Board recommended amendments to the constitution to address several issues related to ambiguity in operations and conflicting documents
Summer 2015: Tamara worked with a student group to: a) highlight issues in current constitution; b) research student government constitutions at other schools
September 2015: initial draft of new constitution presented to all branches of ASOC (Senate, HB, DEB, RESF, Student Services) for feedback
October 2015: revised draft of constitution presented to student body and town halls were arranged for feedback
November 30, 2015: During Senate's last meeting of the fall semester, Senate opened the floor for more feedback and final revisions to the constitution.
According to the current constitution, any proposed amendments must first be voted on by Senate before it can be put to a student body vote. Senate will vote on the final version at next Monday's meeting, February 8. This is your last chance to offer suggestions for changes. Once voted by Senate, the proposed constitution cannot be edited before the student body vote.
To see current Constitution, click on the link to your right. ⇒
Key changes include:
- added gender expression to nondiscriminatory statement
- declared constitution as governing document
- clarified that any branch bylaws cannot conflict with one another nor the constitution
- allowed all students to run for President
- changed student body fee final approval to student body vote
- established Honor Board decisions subject to appeal
- established grounds for appeal
- added DEB as recognized ASOC branch
- added officer removal grounds and procedures
- established a Constitution Commission to address conflicts.
Having trouble viewing the documents? Make sure you are logged in to Oxyconnect first!