Posting and Publicity
Students are responsible for knowing the following:
Posters, banners, flyers, and other promotional, electronic, advertising or educational materials must be posted in accordance with the following guidelines. Failure to meet these guidelines will result in the removal of the publicity. Continued failure to meet these guidelines may result in limited publicity privileges.
An event must be registered with Master Calendar before public posting of the event may occur.
Postings located in:
- in the Johnson Student Center Quad, Samuelson Pavilion, Johnson Student Center, and Rose Hills Plaza must be stamped through the Office of Student Life (OSL)
- the residence halls must be approved through the Office of Residential Education and Housing Services
- all other administrative or academic department must be approved through the administrative or academic department who have authority within that facility
Approval of publicity is not reflective of an endorsement of the event or message by the College.
The following policies refer to posting banners, posters, and flyers anywhere on campus, including electronic media. Questions about these policies should be directed to the Office of Student Life.
- All promotional materials must clearly identify the sponsoring entity.
- Posting is prohibited until the event is approved (if applicable).
- With the exception of alcohol education programs, materials may not promote alcohol as the focus of the event.
- Banners and posters may not be affixed on windows (including windows on exterior doors), campus street signs, trees, or the ground.
- Only the use of painter's tape (i.e., non-damaging) to adhere materials to surface is permitted. Any individual/group publicizing on campus will be held responsible for damages caused by improper posting.
- Banners and flyers may be displayed for a period up to two weeks prior to an event and must be removed within 48 hours after the conclusion of the event.
- Chalking is limited to the quad between Samuelson Pavilion and JSC. OSL, in consultation with Campus Safety and Facilities, may approve other locations.
- Chalk must be designated as appropriate for use on sidewalks. It may be borrowed from the Student Activities Center.
- Chalk is not permitted on vertical surfaces (e.g., no walls or buildings) or any other sidewalk areas, or areas not specified above.
- Chalk is removed on a weekly basis according to Facilities washing schedule.
Publicity in Residence Halls
Students may bring materials to the Residential Education and Housing Services to be reviewed and stamped. Those submitting posters or flyers can bring 20 to be put up in the halls, or 51 for each RA to put outside their doors. Residents or visitors may not post materials in the residence halls themselves. Office of Residential Education and Housing Services staff members post materials twice a week. Any posted materials that do not follow this policy will be removed.
For additional information, please refer to the Residential Education and Housing Services Promotion and Advertising Guidelines in the Student Handbook.
Distribution and Posting in Campus Dining Facilities
Please see Campus Dining Policies.
Distribution of Printed Material on Campus
- Distribution of handbills or commercial publicity by or for off-campus parties is prohibited without prior approval from OSL.
- Planners of student- or campus-sponsored events may distribute handbills in the Quad area only.
- Persons distributing the materials may not impede access to any building.
- Individuals may not be forced, coerced or otherwise pressured to accept materials.
Last updated July 20, 2015
- Phone: (323) 259-2969