The financial aid community extends far beyond our office.
Your financial aid award is coordinated here at Occidental with the federal government, your home state, lending institutions, and private non-profit organizations. Many of these organizations have websites that can assist you in understanding how each player fits into the financial aid process as well as provide you with additional information.
- The Federal Student Aid website is administered by the U.S. Department of Education and can help explain the different aid programs offered by the federal government.
- The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) is best known at Occidental for administering the Cal Grant program. In addition, the commission offers materials to students to help prepare, apply, and pay for higher education. The CSAC homepage also describes their many other programs designed to provide access to educational opportunities in California.
- The CollegeBoard is a national organization of schools and colleges that promotes the transition to higher education. You can register for and complete the CSS PROFILE (which is required for all incoming students interested in institutional financial aid at Occidental) or conduct a scholarship or career search.
- Fastweb is the largest online scholarship search engine. This free service provides students the opportunity to find additional funds to pay for higher education. Fastweb is endorsed by more than 1,300 colleges and universities nationwide, as well as the U.S. Department of Education.
- Get College Funds is from the Oregon Student Assistance Commission. It has a database of over 3,400 scholarships. You do not need to be an Oregon resident to search, but most scholarships require residency to receive the award.
- The National Student Loan Data System allows students to view a summary of their federal student loans. You can also contact them by calling (800) 999-8219.
There are many excellent sources of information available to students in addition to those noted above, others include, but are not limited to:
- Mailing Address:
Financial Aid Office
1600 Campus Road F-35
Los Angeles, CA 90041-3314
Arthur G. Coons
- Phone: (323) 259-2548
- Fax: (323) 341-4961
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org